betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Leafs should start chopping from the top

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Totally Agreed!!!

I just heard (Bill Waters) on 640Toronto that there are whispers that Tannebaum is trying to convince the board that the team should be run by a committee comprising of Messier, Healey nad Nick Kypreos. I swear this is what i heard.

They need to fire Fergie, keep Maurice until the end of the season. They need to put in Mike Penny as interim GM. At the end of the season they should land a President/GM. Maybe Rutherford or Burke will resign their positions in Carolina and Anaheim.

The Leafs are a mess right now. Worse than the 80's when Ballard was still the owner. I love HNIC and wait for Saturday to watch it. Now I can't even watch the Leafs because they are just too lousy to watch.

Changes are coming. It's inevitable.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36705

Normally Damien Cox is painful to read, but in this article he is dead on the money. It's been clear for a long time that Ferguson is clearly over his head and should be removed from his job. It's also clear that Richard Peddie, who hired JFJ has to go too for the reasons Cox specified. As for Ferguson, i'd argue that it was clear he was over his head the day he resigned Ed Belfour to that ridiculous contract 2 months before the lockout, when everyone on this planet, and maybe a few other planets as well, knew that there would be no hockey for at least a year. And since then, one ridiculously bad decision after another. They cannot afford to keep him in any position of power while he still has any assets left that he can screw up with.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

At the end of the last regular season I was praying that the Leafs would NOT make the playoffs, why? Because it would give people a little bit of hope, which wouldn't set things in motion for the major changes this organization needs to field a winner.

Like I said before, I listen to post game Leaf broadcasts and am AMAZED at the callers who defend the Leafs and make excuse after excuse of the Leafs current poor play. This is not a good team, good teams DON'T lose 7-1 to Washington, or get plastered by Phoenix, good teams don't make excuses and promise better results and then DON'T deliver on them.

I hope the Leafs sink to new lows this year, perhaps it will bring about ther changes needed.

I hope they NEVER again sign (aging) free agents to big contracts with no-trade clauses. Work on the farm system and developing young players.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    .Like I said before, I listen to post game Leaf broadcasts and am AMAZED at the callers who defend the Leafs and make excuse after excuse of the Leafs current poor play.
    I share your amazement Betplom, and was discussing this very topic just the other day. I guess many people who "Bleed Blue" are just so blinded by their loyalty that they defend their team no matter what; Almost like it's a personal insult to them to hear the team criticized.

Hell, I've been the typical "diehard" RedSox fan for 35 years+, but I could bash the squad with the best of 'em when things went bad, which it did for many, many long years.

The fan base for the Leafs is just a bizarre thing to observe. Year after year so many, not all but many, just go to the slaughter, satisified with a mediocre organizaton (at best), with so many convinced that if you doubt the team then you are not a "True Fan", whatever the hell that is.....

figjam
    figjam's Avatar Become A Pro!

The vultures are circling around JFJ right now...he doesn't have much longer as the GM of the leafs. Usually when theres this much buzz in the newspaper, means the MLSE is searching for a replacement.
    I hope they get the guy I want in charge which is Scotty Bowman but knowing those tightwad power hungry board members, no chance they'll give Bowman full autonomoy and that is the main reason why he doesn't want to take the job.
    My beloved leafs are going nowhere soon and I think its time to rebuild...tank the next 2 seasons and with a little bit of luck from the lottery, maybe they can get Stamkos this year and Tavares in 09. Those 2 you can build your franchise around.