bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sean Burke retires

Burke should have retired years ago IMO.

I personally thought he was washed up before he even signed with Phoenix.

Veteran goaltender Burke retires

TORONTO -- NHL goaltender Sean Burke officially retired Tuesday after nearly 20 years in the league.

Burke spent last season with the Los Angeles Kings, and played for nine teams during his career, which also included playing for Canada in the 1988 Olympics.

Selected 24th overall in the 1985 draft, Burke reached the NHL near the end of the 1987-88 season with the New Jersey Devils.

Burke, 40, also was with Hartford, Philadelphia, Carolina, Vancouver, Florida, Phoenix and Tampa Bay.

Burke, who played on three All-Star teams, finishes with 820 games played (12th among goalies), 324 wins (19th) and 38 shutouts (sixth).

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36693

He was underrated for a long long time while he was playing in Hartford! He was very solid without being flashy! That said, it was painful to watch him his last few years as he was clearly past it.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

judginbg from his record I would say he was overrated. He only had one really decent season where he went 33-21-6. He had a lot of "losing" seasons.

cobra_king

If you watched as many Whaler games as i did, you'd see that he was clearly not overrated. Those teams were terrible in the 90's (as painful as it is to say) and he was the only reason they ever had any shot at the playoffs year in and year out. Stats mean something, but they are never the whole story and in Burke's case are clearly misleading!

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Well you are correct Cobra. Those Whalers teams did suck big time, but a real top notch NHL goalie is supposed to steal games for his team.

cobra_king

Trust me, he did, and many many of them. Not saying he was the best in the league, just said he was underrated while in his prime.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would agree with the underrated part in his prime Cobra_King. The guy did have some extremely impressive numbers back in the 90's.