bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Selanne still weighing return to Ducks

Even more troubles for the Stanley Cup champion Ducks.

This team is really up in the air this year in regards to what to expect out of them. Way too many issues going on there in Anaheim right now.

Selanne still weighing return to Ducks

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Finnish Flash is still not sure if he is finished.

"Part of me wants to play, but right now, a part of me is not ready to do what it takes," Anaheim Ducks star Teemu Selanne said.

"I'm just going to wait a little longer and see how I'm going to feel when the season starts," he said Friday. "Watching the game and being a little closer, I'll know for sure."

Selanne, who has been absent from Ducks training camp this week, led the Ducks with 48 goals and 94 points last season, and added five goals and 10 assists in the playoffs as the Ducks won their first Stanley Cup, which was also the first for Selanne in his 15-year career.

"At this point, there is no way I could be as motivated as I need to be to play at this level," said Selanne, who was third in the NHL in overall goal scoring. "The last couple years, how hungry I've been and excited about everything. If I don't feel that way in a month or so, then it's time to do something else, but right now it's too early."

Teammate Scott Niedermayer is also contemplating retirement, but has yet to come to a decision either.

"I try not to think about what Scotty is doing, he has a very similar situation," Selanne said. "Obviously if I read the paper and Scotty is going to play one more year, for sure it would affect me a little bit. But I try not to think about it."

Selanne said retirement loomed as the more likely option in the immediate aftermath of winning the Cup. The Ducks are allowing Selanne and Niedermayer to take their time deciding.

"Earlier this summer I thought for sure I was done, but I still wanted to make sure the decision was right," Selanne said. "As the season started getting closer and training camp started getting close I had the feeling to go and play again. But obviously after 15 years when you win the biggest dream you have, you're so satisfied you can't even think about playing again, especially at my age. The decision is way harder than I thought."

hockeynut_01
    hockeynut_01's Avatar Become A Pro!

Selanne and Neidermayer I expect both will be back once the season has started. Teemu's wife is pregnant however w/ the couples 3rd child which might keep him from returning immediately. His mom would like him to play one more year and Teemu himself is just simply undecided as he has two boys that he'd like to be around.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Without training camp in order to get in shape the Ducks should be a pretty good team to fade early in the year.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

At the moment fading the Ducks seems like the right move, teams are always gunning for the champs and Anaheim might be vulnerable, remember they aren't a young team.

Also on my early season list of teams to fade:

Edmonton
    Los Angeles

hockeynut_01
    hockeynut_01's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watch out for the Kings this upcoming season....A very solid goaltender in Labarbera and a very-very youthful team.
    I personally have them just missing out for the play-offs this season and finishing 10th in the West.