bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Leafs player put on indefinite suspension by NHL

As if the Leafs don't have enough problems already for the 2007/08 season.

Toronto's Bell put on indefinite suspension by NHL

Already facing a six-month jail sentence on drunken driving and hit-and-run charges, Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the NHL after being placed in its substance abuse program.

TSN of Canada, citing sources, first reported the story on its Web site. The league issued a joint statement with the NHL Players Association on Tuesday afternoon, saying Bell has been placed in "Stage 2" of the program and is under the care of the program's doctors. Bell will remain suspended without pay until reinstated for on-ice competition by the program doctors after consultation with the league and the union, the league said.

It was not clear when Bell entered the program.

"Per the terms of the [Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health] program, a player who is convicted of a controlled-substance offense (including under a plea arrangement or similar procedure) is assessed by the program doctors and staged appropriately," the statement read.

Bell, who was traded to Toronto in June by the San Jose Sharks, pleaded no contest on Aug. 14 to charges stemming from a September 2006 incident in which his Toyota sedan rear-ended a pickup truck in an early-morning accident in Milpitas, Calif.

The 40-year-old driver of the truck received head injuries and cuts. Bell walked a short distance from the scene and was arrested. His blood-alcohol level was higher than 0.15, nearly double the state's legal limit of 0.08, prosecutors said.

The drunken-driving charge is a felony and the hit-and-run charge was reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor as part of the plea agreement, Bell's defense lawyer, Ken Robinson, said last month. A sentencing date has not been set. At the time, Robinson said Bell would serve his term during the summer months so it doesn't conflict with the hockey season.

"This was a fair settlement to a difficult case," Robinson said.

At the time of his arrest, Bell had not yet played for the Sharks after being acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks, where he was named Chicago's "Man of the Year" for his charity work and community service.

He was a disappointment in his only season in San Jose, managing just 11 goals and 10 assists in 71 games. When he was traded this summer, Bell had two years and $4.5 million remaining on the contract he signed after joining the Sharks.

The Maple Leafs open training camp Sept. 13. The program doctors will make a "clinical determination" as to what extent Bell may be allowed to participate in camp, according to the league/NHLPA statement.

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36801

How Ferguson continues to be GM of this team is beyond me, but than again it is the Maple Leaf organization and sadly they just have no clue from the very top on down.

xxx
    xxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28330

Suspended Bell still confident he'll be in lineup this season

Sep 05, 2007 04:30 AM
    Kevin McGran
    Mark Zwolinski
    SPORTS REPORTERS

He can't say when for sure, but Mark Bell believes he'll be patrolling the wing for the Toronto Maple Leafs at some point this season despite being suspended indefinitely by the NHL.

"Absolutely, that's the goal," said the 27-year-old ex-San Jose Shark. "I came here to play hockey and win hockey games. That's what I want to do and that's where my focus is."

Bell entered the league's Substance Abuse and Behavioural Health program last year after driving drunk, hitting a car and leaving the scene of an accident on the outskirts of San Jose on Sept. 4, 2006. He said he hasn't had a drink while in the recovery program.

"A year has passed and it's changed my life and I've moved ahead ... and look forward to the future," said Bell. "I think my best hockey is ahead of me."

When he'll be able to play, however, is another matter. Last month, he pleaded no contest in California to charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and hit-and-run. That plea moved Bell into Stage 2 of the NHL program, which includes indefinite suspension.

That means his participation in Leafs training camp – set to open next week – will be limited, and his ability to start the season is in doubt. Bell won't be able to play in pre-season games without doctor approval, but can work out with the team, said Leaf GM John Ferguson.

But Ferguson said Bell – due to spend six months in a California jail following the end of the Leafs season – would not likely have any problems crossing the border despite a felony conviction in his background.

There is no timetable on the length of Bell's suspension.

"It is impossible to predict when or whether Mark Bell might be cleared to play," league spokesman Frank Brown wrote in an email.

Ferguson said Bell's case would likely be reviewed before the season begins. He added it's possible Bell will miss the start of the season, but doubted he would.

"There is no expectation on our part that (his suspension) would extend into the season," he said.

Brown said the NHL would not divulge specifics of Bell's program, saying it's tailored to the individual and "confidential at all times."

In general, player/patients undergo treatment as outpatients at local clinics for four-to-six weeks. After Bell completes his treatment, he can apply for reinstatement. It will be up to the NHL's Dr. Dave Lewis and the NHLPA's Dr. Brian Shaw, who will monitor the player's progress, to approve the re-instatement.

Bell, on the ice yesterday with his teammates in informal practices at Lakeshore Lions Arena, said he will do whatever it takes to suit up.

"I'm not running away from the mistake I made a year ago," said Bell. "I'm meeting it head-on and taking the steps necessary to make it better and learn from the mistake that I made.

"I'm just doing what the doctors are telling me, doing it one day at a time and going ahead.

"They call me and tell me to do something, I do it. That's the way it goes for me."

Matt Stajan, the team's NHLPA representative, said he believes the suspension would be lifted once the regular season begins.

"I don't think he's going to be missing any games or anything crucial," said Stajan, adding Bell would be tested as part of the program.

"He hasn't drank in a year. I think he'll be fine once the season starts."

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

How the Leafs looking overall as a team this year guys? They still gonna suck big time, or do you think they can at least make the playoffs?

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36801

I believe the Leafs will be a little bit better. They have solidified their goaltending with Toscala, who is capable of winning games by himself, as opposed to Raycroft who simply is flat out terrible. Jason Blake will help up front, but their defence is still incredibly weak and will be their downfall again. I can see them, with no key injuries, (i.e. Toscala) battling for the last playoff spot and maybe even making it, which would be the worst thing that could happen because that would mean Ferguson probably stays another year.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Leafs will get in this year Dan. Toskala will turn heads. Cobra, it amazes me how JFJ is still GM as well. It amazes me that Antropov is still with them. A lot of things amaze me when it comes to the Buds. They need to get a Scotty Bowman to straighten things out that's for sure.