NEW YORK -- Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson is planning to make his 2017-18 season debut in October, but playing opening night is a long shot because he still hasn't skated since having surgery on four torn tendons in his left foot June 14.

The Senators open the season against the Washington Capitals at Canadian Tire Centre on Oct. 5.

"Once I start skating, you never know how quick things will develop," Karlsson said. "If everything is healed, I should be fine to push it by then, but if I don't feel ready, it's probably going to be better for me not to start the season. But I'll be back sometime in October for sure."

Karlsson said he is just now starting to ramp up his off-ice workouts to get back into playing shape. His doctors told him he wasn't allowed to do anything with his lower body in the months following surgery.

However, the Senators captain remains limited in what he can do because his surgical scar has not fully healed. He still is walking with a slight limp, especially when he wears dress shoes.

"The scar is right where the foot bends," Karlsson said. "It's still a little bit open, which is kind of annoying sometimes, so I wear a lot of sandals."

Karlsson, though, isn't surprised and doesn't appear to be angry about his lengthy rehabilitation process. He said he was told by doctors his recovery likely would take four months, but that he should be able to eventually get back to being the type of player he has been in the NHL.

by Dan Rosen