CupWanted
    We're not worthy!
    CupWanted's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Impact of yesterdays trades on NHL betting

For toronto I think they improve significantly defensively. JS Giguere is not washed up. He had a rough time of it last season losing his father and has struggled this season. I think his struggles are as much due to a lack of regular playing time. Goaltenders are creatures of habbit and need to see game speed shots on a regular basis to stay sharp. The change of scenary for Giguere will do wonders. Phaneuf is a nice addition to Toronto's back end which is quite solid to begin with. Kaberle, Komisarek, Beauchamin Phaneuff, and Schenn? thats pretty damn good. And with the leafs lake of forward depth after shipping out 4 forwards, they will likely struggle to score goals. What that means: take advantage of unders on Toronto. Especially of the books keep pasting them with 6s like they have been.

I don't see much of any impact for Anaheim. Losing Giguere won't hurt, Toskala will never play and who knows with Blake. Although Blake is playing for a new contract somewhere which could be a motivator.

I have no idea whether all the forwards Calgary acquired will gel. only time will tell on that one.

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

I disagree with your assessment of the Toronto trades. As much as goaltending success is about playing with confidence, I do not see JS Giguere doing any better than Toskala nor Gustavsson. He's far from the elite goalie he used to be. His situation is actually pretty similar to Marty Turco's. Both are aging and getting slower.

Also, the Phaneuf acquisition, to me, doesn't necessarily mean more Leafs unders. Dion's #1 weakness in the past 2 seasons, as stated several times by GM Sutter, has been his overall defensive coverage. He's been taking dumb decisions and losing many one-on-one battles... all in all, he's just no shutdown type of D yet. The Leafs could very well end up giving up less goals than their current 3.8/GA per game average, but don't count on them to suddenly turn into a good defensive team.

edit: On the other hand, maybe you meant more Leafs unders because of their obvious lack of offensive fire power, which would make sense. No Grabovski, no Blake, no Stajan, no Hagman. Who the heck is gonna score? Wayne Primeau? Colton Orr? Kessel is pretty good, but he needs a passer to set him up. He's a sniper who won't produce without a playmaker by his side.

Gracchus
    Gracchus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its a good deal!
    I would have been happy if we got a bottle of Gatorade for Stajan & Blake.

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Gracchus View Post
    Its a good deal!
    I would have been happy if we got a bottle of Gatorade for Stajan & Blake.
    haha

ochenta y cinco
    ochenta y cinco's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watch Matt Stajan flourish in Calgary now!