Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Why are the red wings so bad this season?

I have not followed the red wings close enough to know why they suck this season. The lineup looks quite decent to me, zetterberg lidstrom rafalski etc.

Please enlighten me.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Injuries have been a bit of a problem for them with Zetterberg out for awhile and no Franzen has really hurt them. They lost Samuelsson in the offseason which I think did hurt their overall depth. Osgood was horrible in the early season but they are turning it around now with Howard in net. They will go on their usual run here pretty quickly I suspect.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Yea, they'll be dangerous in the playoffs.

MStein12
    MStein12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 411

because they're age is finally catching up with them

Busterflywheel
    Busterflywheel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Injuries from the beginning of season..

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

They were good last year because the west was a lot weaker. This year the west is much stronger with the Blackhawks Predators Flames and Sharks.

The Red Wings aren't even that bad, at least standings wise. They are right in the middle of their division, with possible chances to make a run and get in the playoffs as a wildcard.

However-- Statistically, they are that bad. They are 27th in the league in Goals/Game and some computer rankings have them dead last in the league on offense. There defense is actually middle of the road and has helped them win some games this year keeping them in the chase. The Wings just can't find the net and until their offense picks up, they are not worth betting on.

The biggest problem with betting on the RW's is the juice is very high. They are a public team with heavier juice. It is better to take a team like the Sabres or Thrashers who attract very little public money and consistently are offered at positive numbers often winning SU.

Take tonight for instance. The Sabres +1 -167 is a much better bet than an equal bet on a high juice Red Wings money line.

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh yah, and Osgood.

Tom Jane
    Tom Jane's Avatar Become A Pro!

Most everyone's analysis is spot on. There have been quite a bit of injuries, a bit of a loss of depth, age catching up a bit, and of course, the entire conference is more difficult. Players like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall, and with how Howard is playing, Howard will keep this team competitive. They also lost their top scorer in Marian Hossa, which is a big loss (even though he was injured last year). Some young guys like Helm and Abdelkader will be there in the future. Most of these guys turn it up in the playoffs though, like Lidstrom, and the 'grind line' guys of Draper and Maltby. I still wouldn't put it past the Wings to "squeak in" at 6 or 7 and upset the 3 or 2. I don't think they match up well against the 'Hawks though, so that's what they need to look out for. I suspect Detroit has a couple of deadline moves in them...

don logan
    don logan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Puck just won't go in the net. Good puck control & they play good defense but they just can't buy a goal.

46 SOG tonite against Washington yet Caps come from behind to win 3-2. That's been the new standard for Detroit all season.

vassman86
    vassman86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    They were good last year because the west was a lot weaker. This year the west is much stronger with the Blackhawks Predators Flames and Sharks.

The Red Wings aren't even that bad, at least standings wise. They are right in the middle of their division, with possible chances to make a run and get in the playoffs as a wildcard.

However-- Statistically, they are that bad. They are 27th in the league in Goals/Game and some computer rankings have them dead last in the league on offense. There defense is actually middle of the road and has helped them win some games this year keeping them in the chase. The Wings just can't find the net and until their offense picks up, they are not worth betting on.

The biggest problem with betting on the RW's is the juice is very high. They are a public team with heavier juice. It is better to take a team like the Sabres or Thrashers who attract very little public money and consistently are offered at positive numbers often winning SU.

Take tonight for instance. The Sabres +1 -167 is a much better bet than an equal bet on a high juice Red Wings money line.
    Good analogy.

LEB3R
    LEB3R's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Busterflywheel View Post
    Injuries from the beginning of season..
    Yep

MStein12
    MStein12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 411

Pens FTW!