Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Detroit Red Wings are terrible

I dont know much about hockey but I was looking up how many times Detroit had lost a game at home when they were leading after the 2nd period. I before Tuesday's game that they had only lost 1 game all year at home when leading after 2.

So using that info, I bet Detroit after the 2nd period Tuesday vs Ottawa. Odds were -455. But I figure, 1 game all season, that is a good bet. They give it up in the 3rd period. Lose a shoot out. And i lose.

So I figure next home game, I'll also bet on them if they get a 2nd period lead. No way they can lose 2 games in a row at home in that fashion. Odds were -333. Detroit even takes a 2-0 lead early in the 3rd period. Somehow, they give up 3 goals in the 3rd period and lose again.

I dont think Detroit has lost consecutive home games, when leading after 2 periods, in over 8 years. And the one time i start betting on this, I lose. Maybe I should have known because the Red Wings have been complete trash since late February. But still, blowing a 2-0 lead in the 3rd period on your home ice. That shit never happens. And two games in a row at home? Insane

whareouttogetme
    whareouttogetme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4195

Red Wings do suck right now, and they deserved to lose against Ottawa. Tonight though, it was pretty unexpected for Boston to come back and win, although Boston really needed a win, a lot more than Detroit did, to make the playoffs. Hockey gets funny towards the end of the season.

Still, without being "that guy who talks after the game" the bets you placed were bad bets since everything can change so quickly in hockey. 1-2 (sometimes 3-4) goals is nothing and a team can easily tie the game in under a minute. you could get those odds or better by betting on another goal before the game is over, and I'd say it's arguably a better bet since in most games an empty netter is scored at the end.

That being said, the Red Wings are trash and I learned my lesson a long time ago. They're on my "avoid" list along with the Islanders, Pens, Blues, Predators and Blackhawks,

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

The thing you have to keep in mind though, is that Detroit is a finesse team. Finesse teams don't match up very well against gritty physical teams, unless the skill gap between them is large enough to overcome this weakness.

The Pens are a pretty good example of this, getting upset year after year by considerably less talented teams that control the physical play and intimidate and shut down their high powered offensive players.

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

-455 and -333 is some heavy juice to play into.
    I agree losing both is not a usual thing for any team in the NHL

Plaza23

I looked this up because I was bored last night.

The Red Wings had not lost 2 straight home games when leading after 2 periods since April 9-11 2009.

Given everything that is on the line with their season, it was ridiculous. Once in 6 yr event, give me a break.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

It's a pretty huge beat.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Winning today as +140 dog

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Winning today as +140 dog
    These jokers blew another 40 minute lead. Had to win in a shootout.
    3 straight games they cant hold a 40 minute lead.

penetrate em