Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Huck's 2014 NHL Picks

Second favorite sport has begun. Base most of my picks off a B2B system I've been gathering stats on for the last two years. Follow some trends on there. They did alright last season, lets hope it stays the same this year. 1* = 1 unit, 2* = 2 units, etc. I will tell you whether it's a B2B spreadsheet play or just a normal play.

Spreadsheet Plays 10-2:

Flyers -.5 (+119) -- 1*
    Flyers -1.5 (+210) -- .5*
    Leafs @ Flyers O5.5 (-135) -- 1*

Last year Leafs were 4-5 in B2B situations (not too bad). However, when those games were on the road they were 2-4. Also, teams that won the first road game of b2b road games went on to lose the second road game 65% of the time. Side note, out of the Leafs 5 losses last year in B2B games, 4 of them came by 2 goals or more (hence why i'm taking a shot at the Flyers -1.5).

In regards to totals, 6 of the 9 Leafs B2B games last year went O5.5 goals.

Normal Plays 10-2:

Redwings -.5 (-115) -- 1*

tombuckers
    Buck Man
    tombuckers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 408

You finally got a thread! Happy days, good luck for the season.

cotes17
    cotes17's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

GL my friend

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by tombuckers View Post
    You finally got a thread! Happy days, good luck for the season.
    I did! I will probably be hangin out/discussing games in Cotes thread. Just using this one for keepin track of my record.

And thanks cotes!

Over in the Leafs/Flyers game not looking good. Watching the Redwings game and would be shocked if they don't win. They are completely dominating possession. Like what I'm seeing from them

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

I hate the sport and do not cap it so will be looking to you for advice

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    I hate the sport and do not cap it so will be looking to you for advice
    doesn't look like I'll be off to a good start haha hope you didn't follow tonight. I by no means claim to be an expert at this just fyi. do it for fun. do love watching though. Would suggest nino, think he's prob the best capper for hockey but if i start to get hot def feel free to follow.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    Second favorite sport has begun. Base most of my picks off a B2B system I've been gathering stats on for the last two years. Follow some trends on there. They did alright last season, lets hope it stays the same this year. 1* = 1 unit, 2* = 2 units, etc. I will tell you whether it's a B2B spreadsheet play or just a normal play.

Spreadsheet Plays 10-2:

Flyers -.5 (+119) -- 1*
    Flyers -1.5 (+210) -- .5*
    Leafs @ Flyers O5.5 (-135) -- 1*

Last year Leafs were 4-5 in B2B situations (not too bad). However, when those games were on the road they were 2-4. Also, teams that won the first road game of b2b road games went on to lose the second road game 65% of the time. Side note, out of the Leafs 5 losses last year in B2B games, 4 of them came by 2 goals or more (hence why i'm taking a shot at the Flyers -1.5).

In regards to totals, 6 of the 9 Leafs B2B games last year went O5.5 goals.

Normal Plays 10-2:

Redwings -.5 (-115) -- 1*

NOT how I wanted to start the year. 1-3 for -1.5 units. Just fyi I will always be betting 1 unit, even on juice picks so if I win that will be affected, not what I lose.

Idk if I'm looking too much into it as Leafs were a playoff team last year and Flyers were not but if the Flyers can't win their home opener against a team that just won a tough game on the road things the night before, things may not be too good for them.

rainman416
    rainman416's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 994

Leafs are 5th overall as favourites to win the cup. Vegas likes them.. (part of that prolly just cuz of how many Leafs fans are betting on the Futures..) but they are a serious contender this year. Phaneuf on a contract year.. picked up Bolland in the off season, and Bozak/Kadri/Gardiner/Raymond/Lupul (if healthy).. are all in position to improve each year. I see big things for the LEafs this year..

Also gotta mention their Goaltending. Reimer 5th in GAA last year. Bernier looking sharp and the pressure of "Win and Stay in" tandem goaltending should have both of them on their A game all year (especially early on)..

Don't be too hard on Philly, they could have a bounce back year.. Despite Peter Laviolette being favoured as the first coach to be fired this season.. lol

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by rainman416 View Post
    Leafs are 5th overall as favourites to win the cup. Vegas likes them.. (part of that prolly just cuz of how many Leafs fans are betting on the Futures..) but they are a serious contender this year. Phaneuf on a contract year.. picked up Bolland in the off season, and Bozak/Kadri/Gardiner/Raymond/Lupul (if healthy).. are all in position to improve each year. I see big things for the LEafs this year..

Also gotta mention their Goaltending. Reimer 5th in GAA last year. Bernier looking sharp and the pressure of "Win and Stay in" tandem goaltending should have both of them on their A game all year (especially early on)..

Don't be too hard on Philly, they could have a bounce back year.. Despite Peter Laviolette being favoured as the first coach to be fired this season.. lol
    Rainman, thanks for the notes! This was great stuff. I didn't keep up during the offseason like I should have. I just post my picks in here but we have some good hockey convo in Cotes' thread. I just posted leans for the evening in there, would be great for you to join us in there and give us your thoughts/insight.

Huckleberry Pig

Picks for tonight:

Caps -.5 in reg (-130) -- 2*
    Caps -1.5 (+135) -- .5*
    Bruins -.5 in reg (-120) -- 1*
    Blues -.5 in reg (-115) -- 1*
    Stars -.5 in reg (+105) -- 3*

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

gl with your picks Hickler!

Huckleberry Pig

thanks russian! got off to a rough start yesterday. lots of heavy faves tonight. trying to snag them in regulation. we will see how it goes.

who you like today?

jontebond
    jontebond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6770

I really like your Washington pick. They came up short against Chicago, but offensively they look good!!
    They have the premier game over and done with so I think they will come out with the W in this. No Kips for Calgary, and Calgary is probably ending up last in the league this year, sorry to say. They are lacking scoring big time. Ramo is a pure gamble, and Macdonald I dont see as a nr 1 goalie.

I'm going with the Total over 2.5 goals for Washington and I like them to win -0.5.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by jontebond View Post
    I really like your Washington pick. They came up short against Chicago, but offensively they look good!!
    They have the premier game over and done with so I think they will come out with the W in this. No Kips for Calgary, and Calgary is probably ending up last in the league this year, sorry to say. They are lacking scoring big time. Ramo is a pure gamble, and Macdonald I dont see as a nr 1 goalie.

I'm going with the Total over 2.5 goals for Washington and I like them to win -0.5.
    bond, like the notes. lets cash this!

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

thanks russian! got off to a rough start yesterday. lots of heavy faves tonight. trying to snag them in regulation. we will see how it goes.

who you like today?

plus two o5s in Kings and Sharks games

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post

plus two o5s in Kings and Sharks games

Like me all but Rangers bet

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Like me all but Rangers bet
    like them at that price, but the game is a coin flip at this point of time

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    like them at that price, but the game is a coin flip at this point of time

Ny nay has injuries and Lunqvist looked bad in preseason don't think he flips a switch and back to old self. GL though tonight

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Ny nay has injuries and Lunqvist looked bad in preseason don't think he flips a switch and back to old self. GL though tonight
    likewise Vegas

Huckleberry Pig

GL to the both of ya.

Russian, you missed out on a hell of a tailgate this weekend. got out there at 10am. first beer before noon. scenery was great. flask at the game, went out after. Sunday was the most hungover i'd ever been. hell, so was monday.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

GL to the both of ya.

Russian, you missed out on a hell of a tailgate this weekend. got out there at 10am. first beer before noon. scenery was great. flask at the game, went out after. Sunday was the most hungover i'd ever been. hell, so was monday.
    sounds like you had one hell of time over the weekend way to go!

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

One game in but that Avs squad could be fiesty this year. Lost focus down the stretch last year, Roy might be a good fit. Any thoughts Huck?

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    One game in but that Avs squad could be fiesty this year. Lost focus down the stretch last year, Roy might be a good fit. Any thoughts Huck?
    Clearly Mackinnon made an immediate impact which I'm sure they were glad to see. It will be interesting to see how Varlamov plays throughout the season given Roy as head coach. They must have really liked the immediate impact of Tanguay as well. I definitely think they are a team to watch this year!

cotes17

Clearly Mackinnon made an immediate impact which I'm sure they were glad to see. It will be interesting to see how Varlamov plays throughout the season given Roy as head coach. They must have really liked the immediate impact of Tanguay as well. I definitely think they are a team to watch this year!
    i agree with you there. played the ducks last night taking a shot that the avs might have still been getting it together but i think the have it together. the ducks loosing bobby ryan and visnovski really hurt them

Ra77er

I lived in Colorado last few years, now in Seattle but I followed them pretty closely while I was there and I;m not sure Varlomov is the answer in net but obv with Roy there it's possible he elevates his play. My concern is the lack of vets on the squad and long road trips, maybe keep an eye on their home stretches against quality opponents becasue I think they have the talent to compete at a high level. Thanks for your thoughts.

cotes17

Picks for tonight:

Caps -1.5 (+135) -- .5*
    with you on 3 of them, hope we have a good night buddy

Huckleberry Pig

I lived in Colorado last few years, now in Seattle but I followed them pretty closely while I was there and I;m not sure Varlomov is the answer in net but obv with Roy there it's possible he elevates his play. My concern is the lack of vets on the squad and long road trips, maybe keep an eye on their home stretches against quality opponents becasue I think they have the talent to compete at a high level. Thanks for your thoughts.
    great points, esp about playing better at home for extended games. Feel free to stop by this thread anytime. Can also find some good info over on Cotes thread.

Huckleberry Pig

Great start for the caps... sheesh

Huckleberry Pig

guess washington is spent from the other night. suck one caps.

Huckleberry Pig

Picks for tonight:

Caps -1.5 (+135) -- .5*

2-3 on the night for approx -3.5 units. NOT off to a good start. IDK what happened to the stars in the 3rd period - very frustrating. This first week has been eating my lunch.

Huckleberry Pig

Overall Record:

3-6 for -5 units.

FADE ALERT

Ra77er

Not yet Huck we got a long road ahead, looking forward to seeing what you have tonight. I like the Preds in Denver personally.

Huckleberry Pig

First lean of the night:

Columbus -.5 in reg. This is one of my spreadsheet plays and it has some pretty strong support. Calgary are on the second leg of a back-to-back. In the last 2 years, they have gone 5-13 in those second legs and of those are 3-12 on the road. They are on the road, they are in a b2b. I like Columbus here, esp after a game that went to shootout for calgary last night. Also, teams coming off a road loss that play on the road the next night have lost the second game 61% of the time in the last two years.

Huckleberry Pig

Not yet Huck we got a long road ahead, looking forward to seeing what you have tonight. I like the Preds in Denver personally.
    what makes ya lean preds? I am actually leaning the other way, bout to do a write up

Huckleberry Pig

Second lean:

Avalanche -.5 in reg (waiting on line, guessing around -105): Another spreadsheet play here. Predators in same situation as Calgary and are on the second leg of a b2b. Last two years combined, teams that lost the first game on the road went on to lose the second road game 61% of the time. Also, Predators were 3-6 last year in B2Bs and 1-3 on the road. Also looking at Avs -1.5 here. Out of Predators 6 losses in B2B's last season, 5 came by two goals or more. Avs played well in the home opener, lets see if they can keep it up.

1234 ... Last