Kpn
    Kpn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Iginla gives list of teams He'd wave NTC to be traded too

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...d-ok-trade-to/

If you're lazy TLDR: Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh.

I don't know how to respond to it, is it wrong to say he's being selfish/giving a bad list? If I had to make up a list of 5 teams that do not need to change their offense it's those 4 plus NYR (they just need to start clicking).

I don't think they would offer much in the trade since they don't have a big need for a top 6 winger, why not pick teams that are great but just missing that extra fire power and would actually give up assets to acquire him. Off the top of my head teams that would probably pursue him hard from Calgary and offer a good return would be: Montreal, Minnesota, Vancouver, Detroit, and Anaheim. Teams that almost certainly will be in the Stanley cup hunt and really need an extra weapon at the moment, the most obvious but least likely destination being Vancouver cause their offense badly needs something.

Just seems to me like the 4 teams he wants don't have a big need and would not competitively offer team rebuilding pieces Calgary, for a fairly short'ish term rental player whose skills will start to seriously degrade within the next 5 years.

I'm curious on other opinions on this, keep in my mind this is just my opinion there is no need to flame me if you think for example "OMG ANAHEIM IS PERFECT DIE IN A PUDDLE OF YOUR OWN AIDS". Just curious on what people think about it.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Guy's given his all for the Calgary franchise, he has a no trade so his choice. At this stage of his career I'm sure he wants to go to a team that's ready to win now, not one that needs a piece or two. Not his responsibility to ensure the Flames get the best trade package, that privilege goes to the gm. Simple. With rare exception I'm on the side of the player (any sport) in these type situations. Owners in all sports have shown they'll cut/trade a player in a heart beat if they feel it makes them better, more so if they can save a buck. It's not often the player has leverage, when they do I say more power to them. Iginla's paid his dues, let him go where he wants.

Kpn
    Kpn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Very valid point you make, I would only counter with and what I think I meant originally, why wouldn't he want to go to a team where he makes a big impact being a first line player? From what I've seen from Iginla he's a heart and soul give it everything type player, and it just seems out of character that he wouldn't want to go somewhere that could really use him.

I completely agree that the owners of sports teams penetrate over players every chance they get to make more money regardless if someone got injured playing for them ect ect. My question is more so just his choice of teams, seeming like he is relegating himself to the backseat based on his choices.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

He's 35 years old, I think he's better served not having to carry the weight. Done that his whole career. At this stage I think he's better as an addition vs. being the "answer". Then again, I could be wrong.