pocketlint
    pocketlint's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Red Wings Line: No Brainer? Even With Hossa Out and Osgood In?

Hossa out with stiff neck
    Marian Hossa will miss his first game of the season tonight because of a stiff neck, Babcock said. Hossa was hit hard in the back of the head by San Jose's Doug Murray in the second period of Wednesday's game.
    Osgood In
    "Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood will return to action tonight against the Los Angeles Kings, his first game in 12 days, hoping the issues that have plagued him all season are resolved."

"Osgood allowed five goals on 28 shots in his last appearance, a 6-5 shootout loss to Colorado on Feb. 15. He has allowed three or more goals in nine of his last 10 starts and 23-of-30 overall."

======================================== ===========

Is this one of those games

a) that goes in favor of the favorite (Red Wings) although they lack the ammo and play poorly (Eg: Just like the Sharks last night against Ottawa)
    b) that would be an unusually low scoring game
    c) that would be an unusually high scoring game
    d) that you wouldnt pay to see even if they threw in all-you-can-eat corn cobs

or the one

e) where they sling in the octopuses

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Kings consistently get destroyed by the Red Wings year in and year out, and the Wings are tiers above them, so you could certainly make worse bets.

That said, I don't see the value in -300. This is pretty much the line when one of the league's elite teams takes on one of the league's bottom dwellers (NY Islanders-type).

The Kings have been very competitive this year and play a defensive style of hockey. The goaltending has been very sound since LaBarbera's departure. The Kings just aren't bad enough, in my opinion, to bet against at -300. This is the team that went into New Jersey and Washington and came out with wins; outplaying those teams too, mind you.

But, like I said, you could do worse.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not really. Hossa being out isn't a big deal, but -300 on Osgood is crazy. He could be one of the worst goalies in the league, .879 sv % behind that team is embarrassing.

pocketlint

Alright....let me check the vid highlights of the Kings' past few games....and then I'll jump on this.

pocketlint

E.E. nearly shut the Flyers out a couple of nights ago.

He's not one-bit sub-par.

LA is 1-1 so far on a five-game road trip and has won six of its last eight road games. Besides the Kings areonly four points out of a playoff spot.

This is the only thing on my mind now. If not for that and the Ersberg dude I'd place a large loot on the wings tonite.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

That, coupled with Osgood in net and Hossa out, makes -300 a little steep, don't you think?

pocketlint

Sure is.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Don't be mad at us when the Wings win though, we are just talking value here

Unitage
    Unitage's Avatar Become A Pro!

They out played Philly in PHI as well, though couldnt find the back of the net.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Unitage View Post
    They out played Philly in PHI as well, though couldnt find the back of the net.
    Yep, outshot them quite a bit, especially in the 1st two periods.

The Kings have some excellent things going for them, but they need to add a true sniper. Brown, Frolov, Kopitar, O'Sullivan are all excellent offensive players, but not really the 40-goal-scoring types.

Gaborik would be a nice addition this offseason... but then again, he can never stay healthy.

pocketlint

Vegas,

Gaborik sure would be nice to have. Very on-then-off dude.

pocketlint

No Ersberg. Quick In ??

pocketlint

Nice ... it wasnt too much sweating for a couple of hundred bucks....

but next L.A. game I am with them. they are really applying themselves well.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Glad you won a bit on it

Quick can hold his own too... this is a decent young hockey team. Not a playoff team just yet, but not too far away.

pocketlint

I agree verbatim. Word for word. Unless something goes terribly wrong with them.....I can see them beating the blackhawks black and blue by a mile on Monday.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog

Quote Originally Posted by pocketlint View Post
    I agree verbatim. Word for word. Unless something goes terribly wrong with them.....I can see them beating the blackhawks black and blue by a mile on Monday.
    They've had success against them this year already. We'll see what the line looks like

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

general comment:

I don't even know how last night's game went, but I would avoid betting on teams at -250 or more in general, unless there's something you believe that makes it a lock.

Blindly betting -300s when you have top teams against cellar-dwellers (what the public believes are mismatches) would definitely lose you money in the long run.

That said, I did not handicap last night's game and did not have any particular feelings about it. Had I handicapped it and seen Osgood was playing though, I might've had a small lean on LA, because Osgood is Osbad. Worth betting against.