The Blackhawks will do anything to save a buck.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Flyers acquired left wing Kyle Calder from the Chicago Blackhawks on Friday for center Michal Handzus.

The 27-year-old Calder had 26 goals and 33 assists in 79 regular-season games for Chicago last season, leading the team in goals, assists, points and game-winning goals.

Calder was drafted by Chicago in the fifth round in 1997 and over six seasons had 85 goals and 125 assists along with 184 penalty minutes in 359 regular-season games.

"Calder is a player who we have coveted for a long time," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said in a statement. "He can score; he can kill penalties; he can play on any of our top three lines."

Calder's statement didn't conceal his excitement.

"Words cannot even describe how excited I am right now," he said. "The Flyers have always been one of the teams that I wanted to come to. The dream is finally here and now I have to make the best of it."

The 29-year-old Handzus had 11 goals and 33 assists in 73 regular-season games for the Flyers last season. In three seasons with the team, he recorded 54 goals and 92 assists along with 166 penalty minutes in 237 regular-season games.

Just days before, the Blackhawks accepted an arbitrator's decision that awarded Calder $2.95 million. Handzus makes $2.128 million.