brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Question About Hockey Handicapping to Everybody Here

I'm thinking about getting into hockey betting because it seems to be nearly identical to baseball betting

my question is this, is it possible to win in hockey the way I have done decently in baseball (relying on previous history between teams, goalies and how teams are playing and matchup against each other at a certain time. Also I'm big on capitalizing on win streaks)??

Or is hockey too unpredictable to rely on that sort of information??

BlindBeggar
    BlindBeggar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trend between team are a good indicator, but luck plays a big role in hockey. Covers.com is a good place for hockey trends.

Also, make sure to check which goalies are starting before betting.

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBeggar View Post
    Trend between team are a good indicator, but luck plays a big role in hockey. Covers.com is a good place for hockey trends. Also, make sure to check which goalies are starting before betting.

is it any more unpredictable than baseball tho?

bobbyk1133
    bobbyk1133's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3877

Quote Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
    my question is this, is it possible to win in hockey Or is hockey too unpredictable to rely on that sort of information??
    NHL is a gold mine for betting if you follow the sport closely and know how to evaluate teams/matchups. Identifying value in the lines is also critical. Favorites offer good value on the 3 way line at home and ML on the road and vice versa with underdogs. Try to get reduced juice in gameday and always pay attention to who's starting in goal and what goaltenders are on a hot streak. "Public" teams in hockey are the obvious ones--PIT, WSH, DET, etc. There is a ton of parity in the NHL and many games go to OT.

There are some situational spots to keep an eye on too...such as teams playing their 3rd game in 4th nights or teams that travel well (MTL/TOR in Western Canada), TOR in BUF, the NY rivalries, DET anywhere, etc. Young rebuilding teams don't play nearly as consistent as veteran teams...and if they don't get good goaltending they often tank games (COL, OTT, etc).

Not all teams buy into their coaches philosophies either and you can take BIG advantage of this (eg fadin NJ early last year and riding them after the coaching change).

A lot of this stuff is obvious but I don't know how much you know about hockey. I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, but it basically comes down to knowing the sport really well and finding value. Traditional capping methods don't work that well because there is a high degree of variance you just can't account for.

DHK
    DHK's Avatar Become A Pro!

NHL is the safest sport to bet on by far. My bread and butter

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

NHL is played on ice, baseball on grass. That's the main difference to keep in mind.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    NHL is played on ice, baseball on grass. That's the main difference to keep in mind.