betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pens could either live, die by the cap.

Pens could either live, die by the cap - Damien Cox - Toronto Star

The Pittsburgh Penguins didn't win the Stanley Cup last spring.

But they sure paid for the visit to the final.

In massive new contracts for Evgeni Malkin (five years, $43.5 million), goalie Marc-Andre Fleury (seven years, $35 million) and defenceman Brooks Orpik (six years, $22.5 million), the Pens no longer boast a relatively affordable roster of young, improving players.

They still have the young players and they may well all still be improving.

But affordable? Well, just. The formerly bankrupt Penguins, who host the Maple Leafs in exhibition play tomorrow night, are pushing right up against the NHL's $56 million salary cap.

There's no turning back now.

GM Ray Shero has committed to a group of players that includes Malkin, Fleury, Orpik, captain Sidney Crosby and defenceman Ryan Whitney, all of whom are 27 or younger and are now locked up through the 2012-13 season. By next summer, they'll be joined by forward Jordan Staal, who is slated to become a restricted free agent in June.

The cost of paying so much to so few, as Tampa Bay found out with its now disbanded Big Three, will be instability and yearly turnover with the other 60 per cent of the roster. This summer, the Pens lost unrestricted forwards Gary Roberts, Ryan Malone, Jarkko Ruutu, Marian Hossa, Georges Laraque and Adam Hall, as well as goalie Ty Conklin.

In their place, the club brought in forwards Miro Satan, Ruslan Fedotenko and Eric Godard and will give some farmhands a chance.

The Penguins can expect similar roster churn next summer, with nine more unrestricted free agents.

Still, many have anointed the Pens as the No.1 team in the Eastern Conference. But Crosby and Co. do have some speed bumps ahead.

For starters, their training camp has been shortened to 10 days and just four exhibition matches, after which the club will jet to Europe to open the NHL regular season with games against Ottawa in Stockholm on Oct. 4-5.

A similar jaunt didn't help Anaheim and Los Angeles last season.

"We'll see if there's upside for our team," Shero said yesterday. "If you'd asked me last year if I was looking forward to the Winter Classic (outdoors in Buffalo), I would have said, `Not really.' But it turned out to be one of the highlights of my career."

Whitney, meanwhile, is out until at least December after having off-season foot surgery. Defenceman Sergei Gonchar will have an MRI this week on his injured shoulder and may not be ready for the regular-season opener.

Even the coach, Michel Therrien, is nursing two broken ribs after colliding with a prospect in camp.

Satan and Fedotenko are slated to replace the production of Hossa and Malone, but each scored only 16 goals with the Islanders last season. The hope is that each will experience a rebirth in Pittsburgh similar to that enjoyed by Petr Sykora (28 goals) a year ago.

Staal could be shifted to left wing alongside Malkin. The tricky challenge in the 20-year-old's contract year is to balance his aspirations for more opportunity – and more lucrative contract possibilities – with the team's ability to win.

"We've talked to Jordan," said Shero. "He's got to earn the time."

While the upside for the Pens is attractive, nothing's for sure. Both Malkin and Whitney struggled terribly against the Wings in the Stanley Cup final, the top two lines are being rebuilt and Fleury has played more than 60 games once. Conklin, don't forget, carried the Pens through a portion of last season, winning 10 of 11 in one stretch.

Pittsburgh has played its hand, committing to a crew of young players who now have a Cup final appearance on their resumés. They'll have to propel this team over the top, for the salary cap world means there won't be enough money to get them help.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

If there is any young group in the league to commit to the Penguins are by far the best. They should be able to get through the next year with Satan and Fedotenko. Then the minors should start churning out some more young guys; Caputi, Veillieux, Gologoski (who might be here later this year), Sneep, Jefferey, Strait, and Zabotel

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by element1286 View Post
    If there is any young group in the league to commit to the Penguins are by far the best. They should be able to get through the next year with Satan and Fedotenko. Then the minors should start churning out some more young guys; Caputi, Veillieux, Gologoski (who might be here later this year), Sneep, Jefferey, Strait, and Zabotel
    Yes, but as soon as someone shows promise and has a good year their salary demands will not be met by the Penguins when its time to renegotiate the contract.

This will be a problem for the Penguins under the current system.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

link?

element1286

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    Yes, but as soon as someone shows promise and has a good year their salary demands will not be met by the Penguins when its time to renegotiate the contract.

This will be a problem for the Penguins under the current system.
    Ok, it already happened to Malone. I don't get the problem. You are saying they could have too many good players, and some have to let go. That doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Same could be said about the Red Wings.

betplom
    maniac

Ok, it already happened to Malone. I don't get the problem. You are saying they could have too many good players, and some have to let go. That doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Same could be said about the Red Wings.
    No, I'm saying they will only be able to keep the core players they have locked in for many years, other players will have to be let go when they deserve more money, a great example of this is Buffalo, they had to let some good players go due to the salary cap over the last couple of seasons. Buffalo had a Stanley cup contender when their roster was full of the better players, now a few of them are on the Flyers, look how Philly has improved and Buffalo gone downhill.

Should one of the Pens long-term contract players not play up to his potential they will be hard to move, I'm specifically talking about the goalie Fleury. I've seen guys like him play very well until they sign the big contract then their play degrades.

I'm sure you'll see what I mean as the seasons go by.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Buffalo is a terrible example, they let there best players go Briere, Drury, Dumont, Campbell, McKee and others. They chose to sign guys like Vanek and Pominville instead. they just chise the wrong core players to sugn, PIT is way better

element1286

Plommer, Buffalo vs Pittsburgh, cmon. Vanek vs Crosby, Pominville vs Malkin, let's be serious. How often does a team have two top five forwards who are both under the age of 22 at the same time. I have no worries about Fleury, he has put together some good seasons. Last year he was great in the playoffs, and the year before he won 20 games. And I think he is still one of the youngest starters in the league.

I completely understand what you are saying, but what if they all work out. And Ryan Whitney becomes the next Gonchar, Brooks Orpik keeps up the physical play, Crosby and Malkin get better, and Fleury becomes a top 5 goaltender. You can't let them go just because they might not work out.

I forgot Jordan Staal, maybe the next Rod Brind'amour.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Pens could either live, die by the cap - Damien Cox - Toronto Star

In massive new contracts for Evgeni Malkin (five years, $43.5 million), goalie Marc-Andre Fleury (seven years, $35 million) and defenceman Brooks Orpik (six years, $22.5 million), the Pens no longer boast a relatively affordable roster of young, improving players.
    Getting Orpik and Fluery signed at those prices is a HUGE bargain. Pens will be the next dynasty.

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Buffalo is a terrible example, they let there best players go Briere, Drury, Dumont, Campbell, McKee and others. They chose to sign guys like Vanek and Pominville instead. they just chise the wrong core players to sugn, PIT is way better

WHY did they let their best players go?
    Because of the salary cap!
    That was the point I was trying to make in my initial thread.
    I can think of no better example than Buffalo, those that understand hockey didn't have any trouble understanding the point I made.

THE_LOCKSMITH

WHY did they let their best players go?
    Because of the salary cap!
    That was the point I was trying to make in my initial thread.
    I can think of no better example than Buffalo, those that understand hockey didn't have any trouble understanding the point I made.
    Well your point was terrible, PIT signed there best players before they were free agents while Buffalo could have signed players like Campbell to a 5 year 25 million dollar contract 1 year before he became a free agent and waited till free agency where he ended up geting 7+ million a year. Will they lose players dur to the salary cap? of course but buffalos problem was not the salary cap it was them not signing there players when they had the chance, before they got the the free agency. You don't understand hockey as well as you think

element1286

Plommer, everyone has to play within the salary cap. The key is not overpaying anyone. And the Penguins did not over pay any of the guys they resigned. Crosby and Malkin at 8.7 million has much more value than Gomez at 7.34. And Whitney at 4 million has more value than Campbell at 7.14 million. Plus Orpik was the oldest guy they gave a long term deal to and he is 28.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Plommer, everyone has to play within the salary cap. The key is not overpaying anyone. And the Penguins did not over pay any of the guys they resigned. Crosby and Malkin at 8.7 million has much more value than Gomez at 7.34. And Whitney at 4 million has more value than Campbell at 7.14 million. Plus Orpik was the oldest guy they gave a long term deal to and he is 28.
    exactly, every team has the salary cap, and have choices to make if they want to add or let go players, to say Buffalo is more effected by the cap than others teams is BS, they chose what players to keep and to let go like every other team does. They just made bad choices, not the caps fault

betplom
    maniac

We will have to agree to disagree then, maybe I didn't explain myself well.

What it boils down to for me is that I don't believe Pitt will make the finals this season. They will be over-rated early in the season, reality will set in later on.

Fleury will let them down.

I agree with this, my point was Buffalo fvcked up, they were a great example of having to release players they wanted to keep. Pitt will find itself in a similar situation.

betplom
    maniac

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post
    Getting Orpik and Fluery signed at those prices is a HUGE bargain. Pens will be the next dynasty.
    I'm skeptical of this, time will tell, but I doubt the Penguins will be anything close to a dynasty.

I doubt they make the finals this season.

PuckOff

I'm skeptical of this, time will tell, but I doubt the Penguins will be anything close to a dynasty.

I doubt they make the finals this season.
    Pens are a Dion Phaneuf away from being a true Dynasty in the making.

THE_LOCKSMITH

Yea i could see Fleury playing poorly, his contract was more based on him being a high draft pick and having great potential more than his performance in the NHL thus far. guys like Ray Emery, Cam Ward even Khabibulin all took steps back after leading there teams to the finals

betplom
    maniac

Pens are a Dion Phaneuf away from being a true Dynasty in the making.
    Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Not trying to be disrespectful, I'm going by what I've seen in the past.

The Penguins are going to play the Senators in Europe to open the NHL season. Last year Anaheim/Kings played overseas to start the season, it took them (Anaheim) quite a while to get back to anything close to resembling their Stanley Cup winning team, granted they were missing key players.

When it comes to teams touted as great, I tend to take a wait and see approach.

Early in the season I'll be fading the Pens.
    This is just me, you may want to play it differently.

PuckOff

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Not trying to be disrespectful, I'm going by what I've seen in the past.

The Penguins are going to play the Senators in Europe to open the NHL season. Last year Anaheim/Kings played overseas to start the season, it took them (Anaheim) quite a while to get back to anything close to resembling their Stanley Cup winning team, granted they were missing key players.

When it comes to teams touted as great, I tend to take a wait and see approach.

Early in the season I'll be fading the Pens.
    This is just me, you may want to play it differently.
    Who is your early season favorites? BTW, how is our fellow Canadian Nicky Santauro making out thee days?

element1286

I'm looking at Buffalo, Carolina, Boston, Phoenix, and Columbus early this season.

PuckOff

I'm looking at Buffalo, Carolina, Boston, Phoenix, and Columbus early this season.
    Phoenix will have about 5 rookies on their opening night lineup. These are 5 rookies without at least AHL experience.

betplom
    maniac

Who is your early season favorites? BTW, how is our fellow Canadian Nicky Santauro making out thee days?
    I have no early season favs, I'd like Ottawa if they had a genuine #1 goalie, Auld aint it.

I'll wait and see how things go, too many changes in the off-season to form any strong opinions yet.

I do know I'll be looking forward to watching Andrew Raycroft in goal for Colorado when he gets a start.

Early in the season I'll take my chances with teams (dogs)that play well offensively, ie Tampa, Carolina, Atlanta.

There is only so much to be learned from pre-season, I don't follow the US western teams very much, I focus mainly on the East and then the Canadian teams in the west.

etothep
    etothep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6826

If I'm oversimplifying things, then please correct me, but if one or more of Pitt's young players becomes a young star & Pitt can't afford to sign them long term, what would stop them from trading them for draft picks &/or more young talent?

I guess I don't understand the conclusion being jumped to that Pitt must simply let their other good young guys go via free agency if they can't be locked up long term due to the salary cap. If they do let that [them leaving via free agency] happen, then it would only be b/c they know they can make a run at the Cup w/ them, & I'm at a loss for why that is a negative.

betplom
    maniac

Difficult to repeat in todays NHL.