Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

Your recommendation for the best weather service.

Would appreciate recommendations re:

What is the best weather prediction service you've used - either free or pay?

How many days in advance is the prediction? Accuracy?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

weather underground (www.wunderground.com) is free and good given the state of the art in prediction.

They forecast a week or so out, and accuracy varies with the metric. For example, unless there is a strong front moving through, nobody gets rain during a game correctly a day out. Unfortunately, they frequently miss even just before a game starts and the probability of precip. is wrong.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Weather forecasting is little better than reading tea leaves.

I wish I had the source on hand but, if I recall correctly, using today's weather as a prediction for tomorrow's is correct about 38% of the time whereas forecasters are right about 42% of the time.

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

Quote Originally Posted by benjy View Post
    Weather forecasting is little better than reading tea leaves. I wish I had the source on hand but, if I recall correctly, using today's weather as a prediction for tomorrow's is correct about 38% of the time whereas forecasters are right about 42% of the time.
    that's bullshit

the only sort of criticism is morons that think weathermen are giving an 'exact' prediction instead of giving a range of outcomes.
    When they say 70% possibility of something, they mean 70% of something.

kpoutlaw
    kpoutlaw's Avatar Become A Pro!

How much of a factor does weather play in various sports? For example, I know that the wind can be a significant factor for totals in baseball, especially at a stadium like Wrigley Field. What about cold days? Are there any indications that on cold days, the players' overall condition might be affected and thereby not play up to their optimal level?

zjohnzzz
    zjohnzzz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12944

even in golf its a factor, weather conditions do matter

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

I'd like a service which predicts hourly for 7 days in advance, and which archives its data and makes that available.

One problem I've found with the free services is that I'll watch an event on TV and it's pouring, but the website will say "Cloudy" or "Overcast" - they don't update with a changed condition.

I've seen weather underground previously - I don't think there's an archive available giving even yesterday's forecast, but will look at it more closely.

Any other suggestions?

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I've seen weather underground previously - I don't think there's an archive available giving even yesterday's forecast, but will look at it more closely.
    You can look at the weather for any city on any date by manipulating this url.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...ename=New+York

Just change the date, city and state (full state and abbreviation) and you can pull up anything you need.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

if your that worried about the weather for a game look up google maps and phone someone close to the stadium. apologise for the wrong number and inquire what the weathers doing

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I'd like a service which predicts hourly for 7 days in advance, and which archives its data and makes that available.

One problem I've found with the free services is that I'll watch an event on TV and it's pouring, but the website will say "Cloudy" or "Overcast" - they don't update with a changed condition.

Any other suggestions?
    Archive which? Forecasts or actuals? I don't use forecasts in my stuff and I can't find where they might archive that. Actuals are typically stored by most WX sites for the last 2-3 years, but airports can be 15 years or more. Unfortunately they are changing their format and now I can't find their "classic" view but on their new view at the bottom of the page is a link to history.