roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pats3peat View Post
    im sure there is
    Could've fooled me...I've found some stuff football but nothing for any other sports. Really tough to find.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

The best way to accomplish this for yourself is to code a scraper and pull the data off of the various box scores (from whichever trusted sites you'd prefer) into a CSV text file or database. If you have no coding experience, you could offer to pay a programmer to code it for you (via rentacoder, etc. or perhaps someone here would offer their services for a fee). Your other option is to manually enter the data but that would take quite a bit of time...

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    The best way to accomplish this for yourself is to code a scraper and pull the data off of the various box scores (from whichever trusted sites you'd prefer) into a CSV text file or database. If you have no coding experience, you could offer to pay a programmer to code it for you (via rentacoder, etc. or perhaps someone here would offer their services for a fee). Your other option is to manually enter the data but that would take quite a bit of time...
    Exactly...I've been trying to learn how to scrape but it's really irritating. I'd rather just pay someone but it seems pointless to spend a ton of money paying someone when this is information a lot of people want access to I'm sure...seems like someone would have it for sale.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

If you think there's a market for that data, then paying a programmer for the code to obtain that information could be considered an investment if you wished to sell that data yourself. Although, I'm not sure if that violates some intellectual property rights of those leagues. I would certainly check before engaging in such a venture.

jhnbrick
    jhnbrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

hey guys, I just joined and am highly interested in this stuff. I bet all the time on sports and always wondered how people make their own programs and databases. What can you do to make a program and predict the scores like Vegas does?

I am looking for some information to help me draft up a program like it. Thanks

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by roasthawg View Post
    Exactly...I've been trying to learn how to scrape but it's really irritating. I'd rather just pay someone but it seems pointless to spend a ton of money paying someone when this is information a lot of people want access to I'm sure...seems like someone would have it for sale.
    Yes, there are people/sites that have this info for sale...

Daveo
    Daveo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by roasthawg View Post
    So without starting a new thread does anyone have any advice on where I can get a database of game logs/lines for sports like College Basketball, NBA, NHL, etc? You'd think a website would offer this stuff for sale...I'm having so much trouble finding what I want.

Anyways, I'm looking for a multi-season database that I can download in excel that is something like:

AW Team...HM Team...Line...O/U...AW Score...HM Score...AW FG Att...HM FG Att...etc.

Basically all of the info from the box scores. Thanks for the help!
    I'm looking for the same type of info. Did you ever find anything?

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

College football spreads and totals
    http://www.goldsheet.com/gs_new/histcfb.php

NFL spreads and totals
    http://www.goldsheet.com/gs_new/histnfl.php

You'll have to copy and paste to txt files and then massage it down into your database flavor of choice. Quite a chore, really. But the data is there.

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh, and you do realize you bumped a 3 year old thread, right (I just realized it myself).

chrismunney
    chrismunney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192

First 123