dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

Hockey 1st 60 Minute Questions

I just took a look at the hockey card and see that you can bet 1st 60 minutes. For example, team A the favorite is -177 and team B the underdog is +166. But you can bet on the 1st 60 minutes for Team A and the juice is -200 but for the underdog its +170. I'm looking at 5dimes reduced juice for the regular game odds and the regular juice for the 1st 60 minutes. But is there a reason why the juice is always a bit higher for the favorite 1st 60 minutes?

If you bet the 1st 60 minutes moneyline.... that means if it goes to overtime, then the bet is a tie correct? The other thing that intrigues me is they have the -0.5 line. But to me, it looks really good or am i wrong? For example Team A being -177 is just -113 on the 1st 60 minutes if you lay 0.5 goals. So you are essentially needing the favorite team A to win the game straight up by regulation. Is it me or does this seem like a better bet than the favorite on the ML? You lay 64 cents less. If your team loses straight up, then you save 64 cents. However, if you go to overtime, your bet is an auto loss. However, if you go to overtime and your team loses, your original bet on the ML for -177 is lost and you save 64 cents. Only way for this bet to hurt you is if the games go over to overtime and you win the game though the odds are probably going to be in the favorite's team favor when it goes to OT correct?

I went to covers.com and check out the stat there has been 191 OT games out of a possible 832 games this year. That is around 23% chance an NHL game goes into Overtime so a bit less than a 1/4 chance. Isn't a favorite -0.5 for the 1st 60 minutes a good bet? If you take the underdog -0.5 goals in 1st 60 minutes, you get +244 odds which is 78 cents better than the +166 odds ML for the game.

Does anyone know the W/L of the favorite/underdog in OT? I don't know why but out of 191 OT games in the NHL, my gut says there is a very good chance the underdog could have won close to 50 percent of those games or am i wrong here?

newbee
    newbee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Not sure what your question is... based on your data - 23% on tie in regulation is roughly 60 cents on moneyline, so looks like books got it correctly. I did not run dog/fav in OT analysis, but doubt that your feeling is correct. Big favs (like -177) will certainly win more than 50%. At least that is my guess.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

The time you spend typing out these long posts asking for others to do research for you or to share data from their hard earned databases with you for nothing in return would be better spent actually researching the statistics for yourself.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

No if you bet the -0.5 and it goes into overtime you lose your bet, not a tie...no matter what matter what happens in overtime.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38361

Yes wiggums, didn't i state that? When you bet 0.5, if it goes to OT, your bet is lost automatically.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    If you bet the 1st 60 minutes moneyline.... that means if it goes to overtime, then the bet is a tie correct?
    This is what I was referring to. I guess I misunderstood.