illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Say I wanted to....

Gather all the stats for MLB games and how each individual player performed in each game. I then want to use this information to come up with a formula to determine the expected offensive performance of players based on their previous 4 games or so. First off, do you think his is a worthwhile thing to do(iow will it amount to a small edge?)? And second, how in the world do I go about doing this? It would take many lifetimes to manually put the data into a spreadsheet or something and then I'd have hundreds of thousands of calculations and no idea how to get a program to do them..... help me please!!!

Pancho sanza
    Pancho sanza's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by illfuuptn View Post
    Gather all the stats for MLB games and how each individual player performed in each game. I then want to use this information to come up with a formula to determine the expected offensive performance of players based on their previous 4 games or so. First off, do you think his is a worthwhile thing to do(iow will it amount to a small edge?)? And second, how in the world do I go about doing this? It would take many lifetimes to manually put the data into a spreadsheet or something and then I'd have hundreds of thousands of calculations and no idea how to get a program to do them..... help me please!!!

hundredpercent
    hundredpercent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

I'll save you the trouble: it's not worth your time.

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by hundredpercent View Post
    I'll save you the trouble: it's not worth your time.
    why? Is it not a worthwhile statistic? Or are you just saying I shouldn't try at all?

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

even if you compiled all this what would it benefit you?

illfuuptn

Quote Originally Posted by tad0matic View Post
    even if you compiled all this what would it benefit you?
    It would be one step towards handicapping a game. Isn't that how it works?

heyman
    heyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Gather all the stats for MLB games and how each individual player performed in each game...how in the world do I go about doing this? It would take many lifetimes to manually put the data into a spreadsheet or something
    hundreds of thousands of calculations and no idea how to get a program to do them
    a formula to determine the expected offensive performance of players based on their previous 4 games or so.
    This is one of the toughest markets and you don't know about databases, programming, or the sport.

There are a lot of these types of threads.

dvsbmx
    dvsbmx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 966

A good start would be to look for the sticky at the top of the think tank. The thread is titled "An introduction to research." There you will find just how hard it is to compile a database let alone use one.