Derrick Bros
    Derrick Bros's Avatar Become A Pro!

NBA - Run the Court of Half Court Offense

Hi guys. I am looking for a list of NBA teams that run the court vs teams that love to slow it down and run half court offense, for totals research.

Is there any list like this out there? If not would love everyone's input. I will give 30 points for a full list and legitimate analysis, or a worthwhile site.

Thanks.

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...sions-per-game

This breaks it down by number of possessions a team has per game on average. This corresponds directly to their pace on the offensive end.
    Points Awarded:

Glitch gave mattmc419 11 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Derrick Bros

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc419 View Post
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...sions-per-game This breaks it down by number of possessions a team has per game on average. This corresponds directly to their pace on the offensive end.
    Thx for the quick response, but can you explain how number of possessions per game correlates to if a team likes to run the court vs run half court offense?

mattmc419

Well, since there's only 48 minutes per game, teams with a higher number of offensive possessions have to spend less time per possession, aka shoot earlier in the clock. A fast break burns very little time and allows more possessions within the game.

Getting steals/forcing turnovers also increases the possession count, and will often lead to fast break opportunities as well.

Looking at the list, it really does do a good job of showing pace. For example, everyone knows Phoenix and Minnesota play quickly and get shots up early, whereas teams like Boston, Detroit, etc play in a half court offense to slow the game down (and therefore fewer possessions)
    Points Awarded:

Derrick Bros gave mattmc419 30 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Derrick Bros

Thanks for the response.. Points as promised.

mattmc419

Thanks!

Replied to your PM with some more information on my take on totals. I don't mess with them much in basketball, but maybe it'll be useful.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by mattmc419 View Post
    http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...sions-per-game

This breaks it down by number of possessions a team has per game on average. This corresponds directly to their pace on the offensive end.

wow what a site.