jolmscheid
    jolmscheid's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mathematically This Works....But Why Doesn't It?

Hey guys and gals....I know that what I am asking doesn't work, but I have been trying to get my head around the reason as to why it doesn't work:

Since sides and totals are basically a coin flip, then why wouldn't playing a side or total each day that is at +odds at Matchbook for example so that there is no juice and do a 2 game Chase ...X, 2X....if its a coin flip then the chances of losing 2 in a row is 25%....so 25 times out of 100 you would lose 3 units exactly, as there is no juice, and you would win one of the two games out of the 2-game chase 75 times ..........so every 100 bets, theoretically one should be up 25 units....

What am I missing? I get theres variance, but how does this not work long term mathematically? Yes, there are long losing streaks, but the more trials there are, shouldn't this work....

jolmscheid

Again, I know it doesn't work or else people would do it, but I am just wondering why it doesn't work...

Thanks in advance!

specialronnie29
    specialronnie29's Avatar Become A Pro!

never analyze this problem with chasing or changing bet size over multiple bets

that is your 1st mistake

if a bet is -EV it is -EV and no bet size tinkering will fix it

your second mistake is this. not all totals are o/u -110/-110 on each side. the games with a line of -118/+102 at mb are probably the totals that are -120/100 elsewhere and if -120/100 is correct then you need +110 on the under to break even and will need better than that to make money

jolmscheid

Ok I understand....what if you go by Pinny for example, and if you can get a better line at Matchbook? I'm just fishing here now...HA HA...thanks for the help....

But even if a bet is -ev, if you can hit 48-50% isn't that mathematically gonna work still using my scenario above?

saratoga1927
    saratoga1927's Avatar Become A Pro!

First off I have no idea how you "basically" equate totals to coin flips, I don't think they're anywhere close to equal.

jolmscheid

I understand saratoga....longterm -110 totals and sides are on a mass scale 50%

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

But if you only bet +odds, you won't get 50% long term. The +odds are there for a reason.

jolmscheid

Thanks for the input wrongturn...like I say I know this probably doesn't work, but thought I'd ask...

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chasing bets would be a great way to make 2 +EV bets -EV.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by jolmscheid View Post
    ... What am I missing? ....
    I think you are miscalculating.

Assuming your wagers are at +100, 25 times you will lose 3 units or 75 units. 75 times you will win one unit for a net of 0.

Joe.

jolmscheid

Joe you are correct my friend....

xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Your strategy is flawed due to your assumption that +odds have no juice. Start there, then you will figure it out.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    Chasing bets would be a great way to make 2 +EV bets -EV.
    Bet size cannot change EV from a positive number to a negative one.

sharpcat

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Bet size cannot change EV from a positive number to a negative one.
    Is that the best you can do troll?

Over betting your edge will eventually lead to your ruin and to the depletion of your bankroll. Since you can not profit from +EV wagers when you have no bankroll I would surely consider it -EV long term.

donjuan

Is that the best you can do troll?

Over betting your edge will eventually lead to your ruin and to the depletion of your bankroll. Since you can not profit from +EV wagers when you have no bankroll I would surely consider it -EV long term.
    Sorry but you are wrong, as usual. The term you are looking for is "-EG". You could bet your entire bankroll on something and it could still have +EV, though obviously it has -EG unless it has a 100% chance of winning.

sharpcat

Sorry but you are wrong, as usual. The term you are looking for is "-EG". You could bet your entire bankroll on something and it could still have +EV, though obviously it has -EG unless it has a 100% chance of winning.
    You really felt the need to troll for that?

Though I am honored that you scour this board looking for opportunities to point out every minor flaw in my posts that you can find in an attempt to increase your own feelings of self worth.

donjuan

You really felt the need to troll for that?

Though I am honored that you scour this board looking for opportunities to point out every minor flaw in my posts that you can find in an attempt to increase your own feelings of self worth.
    Why are you so touchy about criticism? It was something that is obviously wrong, and I corrected it. This is the Think Tank. If you want to get away with blatant inaccuracies go to Players Talk.

sharpcat

Why are you so touchy about criticism? It was something that is obviously wrong, and I corrected it. This is the Think Tank. If you want to get away with blatant inaccuracies go to Players Talk.
    I don't mind criticism. I do mind when someone follows me around looking to discredit me every chance they get because of an argument that took place 6 months ago.

With that said do you have anything to contribute to the original topic? like you said this is the Think Tank and the OP was looking for help on his question. We are looking for contributors here not spell checkers.

If the OP asked what the weather was like outside and if he should wear a jacket and I told him it was freezing, its not helping much for you to point out that it is actually 34 degrees and therefore is technically not freezing. Either way he is still going to need a jacket and he understood what was meant.

CaptainPrice
    CaptainPrice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    I think you are miscalculating.

Assuming your wagers are at +100, 25 times you will lose 3 units or 75 units. 75 times you will win one unit for a net of 0.

Joe.

THIS.

Plus i dont think theres any way to win on the basis on knowing its all gonna even out at 50%
    [pm me if there is

masticore
    masticore's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 456

from 50/50 example to another....

3 horse race

Horse A,B and C

A win 70% vs B
    A win 70% vs C

Horse A will not be fav. to win race

regards
    mikke

donjuan

I don't mind criticism. I do mind when someone follows me around looking to discredit me every chance they get because of an argument that took place 6 months ago.

With that said do you have anything to contribute to the original topic? like you said this is the Think Tank and the OP was looking for help on his question. We are looking for contributors here not spell checkers.

If the OP asked what the weather was like outside and if he should wear a jacket and I told him it was freezing, its not helping much for you to point out that it is actually 34 degrees and therefore is technically not freezing. Either way he is still going to need a jacket and he understood what was meant.
    Yeah, I follow you around. LOL. Your analogy, as expected, is awful.

CyberSleuth
    CyberSleuth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting topic. Thanks for the information.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

What is EG? I have never heard this term before and can't find it anywhere. A google search for -EG turns up diddly.

I suspect what he was getting at is that martingaling isn't a good idea, even if you have a tiny edge.

spongerat
    spongerat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

I've heard EU for expected utility in economics and game theory but never EG. Care to enlighten us?

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Expected Growth.

If you know your edge, and that can be a big if, you can use the Kelly formula to calculate the % amount of your bankroll to wager to achieve maximum growth of your bankroll. As pointed out by donjuan above, just because you have an edge (and not a 100% guarantee), it does not mean that you can wager your whole bankroll.

For a specific edge, there is a specific % of your bankroll to wager that will maximize the growth of your bankroll. If you wager a larger % amount, over time your bankroll will actually be less than if you had wagered the correct %. And if you wager far in excess of your edge, there is a high probabilty that you will go bankrupt.

Joe.

jolmscheid

Thanks for all the info guys

PokerDave
    PokerDave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Very Nice Answer. I used to feel pretty smart until I came
    in here to help all you guys make some money....
    MAN HAVE I GOT A LOT TO LEARN.
    This is the greatest site on the internet IMO.
    I hope to have something of value to offer soon, Thanks to all.