brumbies
    sail close to the wind
    brumbies's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7784

Is this method of capping nonsense?

I came across a tout's writeup which was something like this:

Say the total is 200 and Team A(home team) is playing Team B. You look at all the games Team A has played and saw that only 2 out of 40 games had gone over 200. Out of 20 home games played by Team A, only one had gone over 200. Do the same for Team B and you saw that only 4 out of 40 games had gone over 200. Out of 20 road games played by Team A, only two had gone over 200.

So you play the under 200.

I am pretty sure this is a nonsense way to cap, just like trends. Anyone agree with me? What's bizarre is that this tout has a ytd record of 34-13 using this style of 'capping'. I know, small sample size but still..

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

Not extremely nonsense...theres a lot more to it than that.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brumbies View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a nonsense way to cap, just like trends. Anyone agree with me?
    Yes

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brumbies View Post
    I came across a tout's writeup which was something like this:

Say the total is 200 and Team A(home team) is playing Team B. You look at all the games Team A has played and saw that only 2 out of 40 games had gone over 200. Out of 20 home games played by Team A, only one had gone over 200. Do the same for Team B and you saw that only 4 out of 40 games had gone over 200. Out of 20 road games played by Team A, only two had gone over 200.

So you play the under 200.

I am pretty sure this is a nonsense way to cap, just like trends. Anyone agree with me? What's bizarre is that this tout has a ytd record of 34-13 using this style of 'capping'. I know, small sample size but still..
    The closer 200 to the league's average total, the more this makes sense, and vice versa.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Write ups are garbage usually whats in the write up is not why they made the pick.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

It's hard to imagine why the total would be 200 between the two teams hypothesized here, but it if is, there's a reason.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

One assumes in this specific example the rest of the teams in the league play at a significantly slower tempo than A and B?

More generally Data's advice seems right.