TU
    TU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Books to assist with building models

Everyone,
    I'm just getting started with attempting to build models for handicapping. I just got the following books:

Conquering Risk
    Basketball on Paper
    Weighing the odds in Sports Betting
    Mathletics

I was curious if there were any other books that you guys would recommend. Thanks a bunch.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

If you're looking at baseball, "The Book" (Tango/Lichtman/Dolphin) has a lot of interesting info. It basically tells you how to build a live-betting spreadsheet for in-game MLB betting.

I hope you enjoy Conquering Risk

TU

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    If you're looking at baseball, "The Book" (Tango/Lichtman/Dolphin) has a lot of interesting info. It basically tells you how to build a live-betting spreadsheet for in-game MLB betting.

Thanks. I will order that one too. I'm more into basketball but was curious about baseball. I'm not sure I want to deal with football.

Conquering Risk is the one that seems the most interesting so far. Just getting into the modeling section. It's exciting looking into this even though some of it seems confusing. I have a finance degree so some of it comes easy but seeing some of the formulas you guys throw around in here is troubling. I guess I just have more time to spend to catch up.

Thanks.

CaptainHindsight
    CaptainHindsight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey Justin - saw your review on amazon for Mathletics. Is there enough handicapping/modeling info in there to make it a purchase for those wanting to use it strictly for wagering? I'd imagine most info is found in other books (like Conquering Risk).

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHindsight View Post
    Hey Justin - saw your review on amazon for Mathletics. Is there enough handicapping/modeling info in there to make it a purchase for those wanting to use it strictly for wagering? I'd imagine most info is found in other books (like Conquering Risk).
    Mathletics is a great book to get you thinking. The only real drawback is that most of the topics are covered in other publications... so if your gambling library is small, it's a great addition. If you buy anything and everything out there (like I do), there isn't much new in it.

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by TU View Post
    Thanks. I will order that one too. I'm more into basketball but was curious about baseball. I'm not sure I want to deal with football.

Conquering Risk is the one that seems the most interesting so far. Just getting into the modeling section. It's exciting looking into this even though some of it seems confusing. I have a finance degree so some of it comes easy but seeing some of the formulas you guys throw around in here is troubling. I guess I just have more time to spend to catch up.

Thanks.
    If you want to work on basketball, you should pick up one of the two books by Larry Seidel. They are more on subjective college basketball handicapping, but done very well.

CaptainHindsight

Mathletics is a great book to get you thinking. The only real drawback is that most of the topics are covered in other publications... so if your gambling library is small, it's a great addition. If you buy anything and everything out there (like I do), there isn't much new in it.
    Thanks. By chance, is there a thread pinned here that has a running diary of your book reviews? There is so much crap on amazon, it saddens me how Conquering Risk and King Yao's book get buried under some guy with multiple pen names writing worthless crap about capping football (Tuttle).

CaptainHindsight

If you want to work on basketball, you should pick up one of the two books by Larry Seidel. They are more on subjective college basketball handicapping, but done very well.
    I'll concur here; really like Seidel's two books (Can't recall which is better - Wagering to Win doesn't have the full season of handicapping notes and throught process). The worst hoops book I have/had isn't even on the GBC's site any longer. Had an all red cover and was written on a typewriter. Can't recall now - will have to see if I can dig it out sometime.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

is there A real simple book you can reccommend?

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by princecharles View Post
    is there A real simple book you can reccommend?
    If it's simple, it probably doesn't win. Except perhaps NFL teasers, correlated parlays and bonus whoring. Anything else in sports betting takes brains and work.

TU

Did you write that book? I just caught that.

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by TU View Post
    Did you write that book? I just caught that.
    Yes.

TU

Yes.
    So many resources on this board. Glad I found my way in here.

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

There is a book on writing basic extraction and database coding for baseball, primarily for sabermetrics, called "Baseball Hacks."

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by uva3021 View Post
    There is a book on writing basic extraction and database coding for baseball, primarily for sabermetrics, called "Baseball Hacks."
    I enjoyed the book. In addition to programming concepts (of which I am no expert), it was very interesting. The examples and conclusions drawn made the book much more readable than most books on programming.