cahut13
    cahut13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1148

Situation I found myself in

first time poster here

For soccer, there are lines for the both the teams to win and a draw, if the draw is removed and a tie pushes the other bets, what is the advantage that the bettor has over a book?

for ex. in an upcoming german league game the line is as follows:
    Eintracht Frankfurt +135
    VfL Wolfsburg +175
    Draw +220

So if the draw is removed and the other bets are graded as wagers, what advantage am I looking at here?

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

look into asian handicap. pk pushes.

difference is 3-way, 2 way

cahut13

so if this were to be a nfl game and the line looked like this
    Bears +135
    Vikings +175

What kind of advantage is that, for some reason I cant figure out how to do the math (never was the best at it) to get me where I want to get

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by cahut13 View Post
    What kind of advantage is that, for some reason I cant figure out how to do the math (never was the best at it) to get me where I want to get
    Eintracht Frankfurt +135
    VfL Wolfsburg +175
    Draw +220

let me do couple of asian handicap conversions for you

eintracht +0.5 will have odds of -282 (you win on draw and win)

wolfsburg +0.5 will have odds of -209

if you want to do pk, that is a little more tricky to calulate

cahut13

ha, sorry i didnt know what asian handicapping meant, but I see now. So essentially to break even I have to hit somewhere around 30ish percent? IF betting the "favorite" at +135 when true odds should be -282?

pico
    USC ml

ok here it is

eintracht pk is -162
    wolfsburg pk is -112

pk means you get your money back on draw

so i pretty much coverted 1x2 odds to 2 way asian handicap. as you can see, the odds you're getting is atrocious. that is 70 cents vig. if you want to bet soccer, you have to line shop.

pico
    USC ml

there is also quarter asian handicap (not sure about the exact term)

for example, eintracht +0.5/pk , which means if you wager 100 dollars, 50 will be on eintracht +0.5 and 50 will be on eintracht pk.

on the other hand you'll often see eintracht -0.5/pk

for some heavy favorites you might see something like Man U -1.5/-1

same goes for the toal

pico
    USC ml

ha, sorry i didnt know what asian handicapping meant, but I see now. So essentially to break even I have to hit somewhere around 30ish percent? IF betting the "favorite" at +135 when true odds should be -282?
    when you take eintracht at +135, it is same as asian handicap of eintracht -0.5. +135 is not really favorite.

if you see eintracht -0.5 at -150....that is a favorite.

pico
    USC ml

cahut, i am glad you started this thread. because it is not that straight forward to convert 3 way to different asian handicap lines. i asked ganch to create a tool for the sbrodds, but he told me that no one give a damn about soccer. so i went ahead and created couple of solver functions in excel. the concept is pretty easy, and if you're famailar with the excel solver it only takes 2 second to convert. but if you never done it, it is pretty hard (sometimes confusing when the game is about to start) to do even with a graphing calculator.

soccer is fun to bet because it is on 24/7.

cahut13

I really appreciate your help and I have learned a lot more about betting on soccer, but my original question wasnt completely answered I will rephrase it:what would my advantage be over a book if they offered me lines of
    +135 and +175 it doesn't necesarily have to be in soccer, but in any sport
    so If I found a book that offered me
    Yankees +135
    Boston +175
    and I could only bet on one side, what percentage would I have to hit to stay even? is it something like 43 percent? I am having an argument with a friend

cahut13

Quote Originally Posted by picoman View Post
    cahut, i am glad you started this thread. because it is not that straight forward to convert 3 way to different asian handicap lines. i asked ganch to create a tool for the sbrodds, but he told me that no one give a damn about soccer. so i went ahead and created couple of solver functions in excel. the concept is pretty easy, and if you're famailar with the excel solver it only takes 2 second to convert. but if you never done it, it is pretty hard (sometimes confusing when the game is about to start) to do even with a graphing calculator.

soccer is fun to bet because it is on 24/7.
    so your program converts the 3 way money lines into 2 way lines, so does it disburse the draw money evenly? or how does it consistently come up with spread lines, seems tough to do

cahut13

Ya and completely OT but I have been betting on soccer more lately and I am really new to it, but having a tool that could tell me that I am getting a fair price on spread lines could be really helpful

pico
    USC ml

I really appreciate your help and I have learned a lot more about betting on soccer, but my original question wasnt completely answered I will rephrase it:what would my advantage be over a book if they offered me lines of
    +135 and +175 it doesn't necesarily have to be in soccer, but in any sport
    so If I found a book that offered me
    Yankees +135
    Boston +175

and I could only bet on one side, what percentage would I have to hit to stay even? is it something like 43 percent? I am having an argument with a friend
    no book will offer this line. if you bet one million dollar on yankees and one million on boston, how can you lose?

with 3 way betting, you don't really know what is the win% for each outcome, and you can't say team 1 win is 33%, team 2 win is 33%, and draw is 33%. every game is different.

pico
    USC ml

Ya and completely OT but I have been betting on soccer more lately and I am really new to it, but having a tool that could tell me that I am getting a fair price on spread lines could be really helpful
    one thing i can tell you, the lines you're getting is crap. find a different book if you want to bet soccer long term.

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

one thing i can tell you, the lines you're getting is crap. find a different book if you want to bet soccer long term.
    This is true, these lines are tight (this looks like bodog though, not as bad as the CRIS family)

If you're an american and want really good lines, you have to settle for 5dimes as far as I know.

Looking at this game, the odds at 5dimes are:

Eintracht Frankfurt +135
    Draw +231
    VfL Wolfsburg +206

Unfortunately the limits are $500 at 5dimes I believe, and will likely be cut further if you win.

Hopefully you aren't living in the US, in which case you have several more options, including Pinnacle, who offers higher limits and even better lines than 5dimes.

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

Since you are using examples like:

"Yankees +135
    Boston +175"

Let me clear this up..just in case both me and picoman are erroneously assuming you already know this:

Your 1x2 bets on Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg don't get canceled if the game ends in a draw. You would lose both bets.

cahut13

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    Since you are using examples like:

"Yankees +135
    Boston +175"

Let me clear this up..just in case both me and picoman are erroneously assuming you already know this:

Your 1x2 bets on Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg don't get canceled if the game ends in a draw. You would lose both bets.
    Yes I know that I wont get paid for a draw, but What I am asking is completely hypothetical. IF there was a book that offered:
    "Yankees +135
    Boston +175"
    BUT only allowed you to bet on one side, what would the player have to hit to stay even? Me and my friend had an argument about it and we both suck at math so try and help me out. I thought it was around 43 percent, he says it is less. Who is right?

cahut13

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    This is true, these lines are tight (this looks like bodog though, not as bad as the CRIS family)

Unfortunately the limits are $500 at 5dimes I believe, and will likely be cut further if you win.

Hopefully you aren't living in the US, in which case you have several more options, including Pinnacle, who offers higher limits and even better lines than 5dimes.
    Yes the lines I got were bodog lines, it is good to know there are better soccer books out there, too bad i'm in the US so i am limited, and unless I went on some crazy run I dont think the 500 dollar limit should be a problem

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes I know that I wont get paid for a draw, but What I am asking is completely hypothetical. IF there was a book that offered:
    "Yankees +135
    Boston +175"
    BUT only allowed you to bet on one side, what would the player have to hit to stay even? Me and my friend had an argument about it and we both suck at math so try and help me out. I thought it was around 43 percent, he says it is less. Who is right?
    If you're betting the Yankees you have to hit around 43%, but if you're betting Boston you only have to hit around 36%.

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    If you're betting the Yankees you have to hit around 43%, but if you're betting Boston you only have to hit around 36%.
    i can't believe you're answering like that. it is a pretty ridiculous question to start off with.

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

i can't believe you're answering like that. it is a pretty ridiculous question to start off with.
    I couldn't find any thread on the whole board that I wanted to reply to. And he kept asking over and over.

I couldn't help myself.

I'll delete it if you want.

pico
    USC ml

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    I couldn't find any thread on the whole board that I wanted to reply to. And he kept asking over and over.

I couldn't help myself.

I'll delete it if you want.
    it is fine. in the beginning of this thread i thought he got confused with 3 way wagering, so i went into detail explaining asian handicap...then i realized what he is really asking.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

where do they come from?

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

I do not understand any of this. I am just going to walk away before my brain starts to hurt