Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

just a thought

I have been thinking along the lines of utility functions, Kelly, bankroll and such and I found myself thinking that on some level Kelly is just like the Law of Large numbers, it can only be applied if you are going to live forever (that aside from other conditions) and if you are not then it becomes pretty much like the Gambler's Fallacy. I found this thought controversial yet amusing and decided to share it with you guys.

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

Less vodka for you, comrade.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agreed. A problem with a lot of mathematical solutions is that they work perfect in isolation. Add the fluctuations of real life and math often falls short. Nature can't be confined to such sterility. Chaos theory explores hidden patterns. (don't tell this to mathematicians, because they consider it heresy; having convinced themselves that their discipline is perfect).

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

"in the long run, we're all dead" --Keynes

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Agreed. A problem with a lot of mathematical solutions is that they work perfect in isolation. Add the fluctuations of real life and math often falls short. Nature can't be confined to such sterility. Chaos theory explores hidden patterns. (don't tell this to mathematicians, because they consider it heresy; having convinced themselves that their discipline is perfect).
    Less vodka for you, comrade.

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

Sometimes utility isn't logarithmic, especially in the very short term. If you have exactly $1000 to buy in to a very profitable tournament, you arne't taking a coinflip for $10 to win $50. OTOH, the time I left my wad in the hotel (30 minutes away), and had about half a buyin in my wallet, taking one shot at a doubleup on the craps table (yay 7 out of the chute) to be able to get a seat in a good game was clearly immediately -EV, but overall +EG.

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    I'll just point out that Chaos Theory is itself a branch of mathematics, and its existence is no more heretical to modern mathematical theory than fuzzy logic is to computer science. (More fitting analogies enthusiastically encouraged.)