rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Whats the probability........

Whats the probability of flipping a coin 6 times... and not getting a 3heads/3tails split ?

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

68.75%

epsacc
    epsacc's Avatar Become A Pro!

Assuming that p(heads) = p(tails) = 0.5, probability of not getting 3 heads and 3 tails is given by 1 - probability(3 heads in 6 tosses).

1 - p(3 Heads) = 1 - (6 choose 3)*p(heads)^3*p(tails)^3 = 1 - (6 choose 3)*(.5)^3*(.5)^3 = 11/16 = 68.75%

tool21
    tool21's Avatar Become A Pro!

I did a 'study' i guess you could say on this because i was building a chase system based on a 50% chance. The thing is you have a 50% chance every flip. It doesn't change with past flips because sample sizes are to small.

Great example.

Many people on this forum if they were to flip a coin the rest of their lives would have a streak of 20 heads or 20 tails in a row. Same goes with gambling. It's unpredictable and gambling has no memory. You have about a 50% give or take chance EVERY GAME. It is pretty common to flip a coin heads 6 times in a row believe it or not. I'm pretty sure it will happen within 200 bets.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Quote Originally Posted by tool21 View Post
    I did a 'study' i guess you could say on this because i was building a chase system based on a 50% chance. The thing is you have a 50% chance every flip. It doesn't change with past flips because sample sizes are to small.

Great example.

Many people on this forum if they were to flip a coin the rest of their lives would have a streak of 20 heads or 20 tails in a row. Same goes with gambling. It's unpredictable and gambling has no memory. You have about a 50% give or take chance EVERY GAME. It is pretty common to flip a coin heads 6 times in a row believe it or not. I'm pretty sure it will happen within 200 bets.
    so are you disagreeing with the 2 above answers?

tool21

Believe it or not i must have read your post wrong....i'm sorry. I for some reason thought it was for 6 of the same in a row. shit i have no idea.

I built a 'simulator' in excel and recorder the results of about 500,000 flips at 50% each. The results were crazy. Basically any combination at any time over that many flips. I can't answer your question though, don't have time to think about it i have a test at 8am. Sorry bro!
    Last edited by tool21; 04-01-08 at 12:05 AM.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    Whats the probability of flipping a coin 6 times... and not getting a 3heads/3tails split ?
    are you going to use this in some kind of crazy parlay strategy?

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

Believe it or not i must have read your post wrong....i'm sorry. I for some reason thought it was for 6 of the same in a row. shit i have no idea.

I built a 'simulator' in excel and recorder the results of about 500,000 flips at 50% each. The results were crazy. Basically any combination at any time over that many flips. I can't answer your question though, don't have time to think about it i have a test at 8am. Sorry bro!
    I don't mean this to be offensive, but it's the truth that if you can't do this calc, you really shouldn't be building simulators and models.

pico
    USC ml

i think i got it. you must be thinking about reverse round robin parlays. you get screwed if you split 3-3.

tool21

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenLullaby View Post
    I don't mean this to be offensive, but it's the truth that if you can't do this calc, you really shouldn't be building simulators and models.
    Maybe you should read what i wrote. I didn't say i didn't know how to do it. I said "don't have time to think about it i have a test at 8am. Sorry bro!" I'll leave it at that. you don't know me so don't act like ya do.

26-10 NCAAB this year documented at EOG
    102-74 ATS NBA this year documented at EOG

I think i know a little bit about handicapping and probabilities Mr. Lullaby. I mean being in my senior year of college and majoring in Mathmatics doesn't help does it? I haven't taken classes past calc 2? I've taken every math course under the sun. Come on dude... be serious it's what i do hahahaha
    Last edited by tool21; 04-01-08 at 12:06 PM.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

I think i know a little bit about handicapping and probabilities Mr. Lullaby.
    Apparently none of your classes taught you anything about sample sizes.

tool21

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Apparently none of your classes taught you anything about sample sizes.

That's why i'm here right?

Sorry bout getting this off topic you will see no more posts from me in this thread unless it's helpful, sorry!

DrunkenLullaby
    DrunkenLullaby's Avatar Become A Pro!

Maybe you should read what i wrote. I didn't say i didn't know how to do it. I said "don't have time to think about it i have a test at 8am. Sorry bro!" I'll leave it at that. you don't know me so don't act like ya do.

I think i know a little bit about handicapping and probabilities Mr. Lullaby. I mean being in my senior year of college and majoring in Mathmatics doesn't help does it? I haven't taken classes past calc 2? I've taken every math course under the sun. Come on dude... be serious it's what i do hahahaha
    Dude, in my first quarter at UCLA I learned how to do calculations like this - in an Econ class nonetheless. I'm sorry, but I don't understand how a senior math major, particularly one who's taken Combinatorics (one of the math classes under the sun) could forget, even for a second, how to do this problem.

pico
    USC ml

april fools