Grind-It-Out
    Grind-It-Out's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 942

Can Someone Confirm My Happiness?

I think I just created a frickin sweet model, but I'm paranoid that I did something wrong with testing that invalidates the data. If someone could verify that I tested correctly that would be hugely appreciated.

The process:
    I created a model, backtested using data from April 1st, 2009 - April 30th, 2010, and then made repeated changes to the model until backtesting on that data set yielded the best result. Then, once I was confident in my model, I "forward tested" from May 1st, 2010 through yesterday.

The results (from May 1st onward):
    494 - 292, +285.99 units, Z-Score = 6.05 (All bets were between 1 and 5 units)

Since I didn't backtest with the data I used for "forward testing" does that mean that these results are valid? They almost seem too good to be true, which has me worried.

hutennis
    hutennis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3253

What is "forward testing" ?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
    What is "forward testing" ?
    I don't know if there is such a thing. I didn't know what to called it, so I made up a name. Basically, I just mean that the data set I used to create the model and the data set I used to come up with the results are two different sets.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kind of alarming that you came up with 786 plays in 92 days if this is baseball alone you would have bet 60-70% of the games on the board.

hutennis
    hutennis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3253

So it looks like you have not actually tried to place any bets.

Why don't you do that?

Start betting money. Small money. 1 unit = $1.

If your model is good then you'll be quietly making a lot of money gradually increasing stakes and soon will become financially independent.
    A lot of money in a bank will be the best possible conformation of your happiness.
    No amount of guessing (or trying to find black cat in a dark room when there is no cat there in a first place) you are asking for in your post can even come close.

If after placing real bets you'll see that sigma 6 is nowhere in sight, money are lost and happy dreams of financial independence vanished like fart in a wind then you can come back to forums, disclose details of your now worthless model and ask for help on figuring out why it worked great on paper and failed miserably in real life.
    I'm sure, you gonna get all the help you need.

Yep, looks reasonable to me.
    Last edited by hutennis; 08-02-10 at 01:17 PM.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds solid to me.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by Grind-It-Out View Post
    I think I just created a frickin sweet model, but I'm paranoid that I did something wrong with testing that invalidates the data. If someone could verify that I tested correctly that would be hugely appreciated.

The process:
    I created a model, backtested using data from April 1st, 2009 - April 30th, 2010, and then made repeated changes to the model until backtesting on that data set yielded the best result. Then, once I was confident in my model, I "forward tested" from May 1st, 2010 through yesterday.

The results (from May 1st onward):
    494 - 292, +285.99 units, Z-Score = 6.05 (All bets were between 1 and 5 units)

Since I didn't backtest with the data I used for "forward testing" does that mean that these results are valid? They almost seem too good to be true, which has me worried.
    I think you need to either base your stats on a flat bet basis or separate your stats by the number of units and then test those results for confidence levels. You may have hit a larger % of 5 unit than 1 unit wagers which may skew your results if you comingle them.

Joe.

PS. You may also have to separate by odds ranges as a winner or two or three at very high odds may also skew your results.
    Last edited by u21c3f6; 08-02-10 at 03:05 PM. Reason: PS.

bztips
    bztips's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    I think you need to either base your stats on a flat bet basis or separate your stats by the number of units and then test those results for confidence levels. You may have hit a larger % of 5 unit than 1 unit wagers which may skew your results if you comingle them.

Joe.

PS. You may also have to separate by odds ranges as a winner or two or three at very high odds may also skew your results.
    If you're using Kelly, you would EXPECT to hit a higher % on your larger bets (that's why you bet more )

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by u21c3f6 View Post
    I think you need to either base your stats on a flat bet basis or separate your stats by the number of units and then test those results for confidence levels. You may have hit a larger % of 5 unit than 1 unit wagers which may skew your results if you comingle them. Joe. PS. You may also have to separate by odds ranges as a winner or two or three at very high odds may also skew your results.
    The z-score would account for any outliers like that.

That being said, the breakdown by unit size is:

1: 359 - 242 (+101.18)
    2: 99 - 41 (+97.28)
    3: 23 - 8 (+35.73)
    4: 9 - 1 (+31.80)
    5: 4 - 0 (+20.00)

Also, there aren't any ridiculously large lines. They all pretty much fall between -200 and +200.

Quote Originally Posted by bztips View Post
    If you're using Kelly, you would EXPECT to hit a higher % on your larger bets (that's why you bet more )
    Precisely! Obviously Kelly doesn't recommend a flat 1-5 unit scale, but I'm not good enough (yet) to predict with any more precision than that.

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

The process:
    Ideally, for each tweak you would use a new set of games (validation set) to compare the results (forward testing as you called it). Tweaking the same set of data would make me concerned of data-mining/overtraining issues. If you had more games to test the model on you would be able to get a better idea of what it could do moving forward. Even games that occurred in previous seasons are new to your model and could be use as a validation set to further verify the model.

With that said, I can't say for sure if you would suffer from data-mining issues given what you've provided.

Gl
    Last edited by Indecent; 08-02-10 at 04:53 PM.

sharpcat

Quote Originally Posted by Indecent View Post
    Ideally, for each tweak you would use a new set of games (validation set) to compare the results (forward testing as you called it). Tweaking the same set of data would make me concerned of data-mining/overtraining issues. If you had more games to test the model on you would be able to get a better idea of what it could do moving forward. Even games that occurred in previous seasons are new to your model and could be use as a validation set to further verify the model.

With that said, I can't say for sure if you would suffer from data-mining issues given what you've provided.

Gl
    This is a very good point I completely missed this when I first read this post.

Every time you alter a system you are testing you have to use a new set of data since a pattern noticed in the original set of data may have contributed to your new improved system.

If possible I would look into backtesting prior seasons.

MarketMaker
    MarketMaker's Avatar Become A Pro!

My guess would be that if you made an error it would be using data from a date past the date of the game to find your bets.

For example, if you had data from April 1st 2009 to yesterday and then used all of that data to try to predict a game on May 1st, 2010 you would seemingly have a very successful model. It is important that you only use data up to and not including the date of the event to come up with your prediction.

It is also possible that you just have a really successful model. A win rate of 62.8% is not something I have ever heard of in baseball if your median line is +/-100 but I know it is possible in other sports.

MarketMaker

This has me worried. So if you didn't backtest with the data you used for "forward testing", and you stated that you backtested with data from April 1st, 2009 - April 30th, 2010, what data did you use in your model beginning on May 1st, 2010?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaker View Post

This has me worried. So if you didn't backtest with the data you used for "forward testing", and you stated that you backtested with data from April 1st, 2009 - April 30th, 2010, what data did you use in your model beginning on May 1st, 2010?
    By "forward testing", I suppose I still meant bactesting, but on a different data set.

I used data from April 1st, 2009 - April 30th, 2010 to build and test the model. Data from May 1st onward was not used in any way, until I was 100% done development. Then, I backtested again from May 1st onward. What I was trying to convey was that I didn't alter the model based on this data.

MarketMaker

So from May 1st onward what data did you use?

Grind-It-Out

So from May 1st onward what data did you use?
    I had data up until August 1st. I knew I didn't want to compromise the results by backtesting on the same data I used for final testing, so I simply separated one data set into two data sets.

MarketMaker

I don't think you are understanding what I am getting at. For your predictions for the games specifically on May 1st, 2010 what data did you use?

djiddish98
    djiddish98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

Here's a rephrasing of my own: You're running a test for games on June 1, 2010. Did you use data from April 1, 2009 to May 31, 2010 to test the games on June 1? Or are you using data from April 1, 2009 to August 1, 2010 or May 1, 2010 to August 1, 2010 to test on June 1?

Grind-It-Out

I don't think you are understanding what I am getting at. For your predictions for the games specifically on May 1st, 2010 what data did you use?
    On May 1st, 2010, I used data from April 1st 2009 - April 30th, 2010.
    On May 2nd, 2010, I used data from April 1st 2009 - May 1st, 2010.
    etc.

MarketMaker

If that is the case your data is valid.

djiddish98

Also, is this just moneylines or ML, RL, Total, other derivatives, etc?

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by djiddish98 View Post
    Also, is this just moneylines or ML, RL, Total, other derivatives, etc?
    ML, RL and total.

For the ML and RL, I take the ML if it is -200 or better, and the RL otherwise.

MarketMaker

ML, RL and total.

For the ML and RL, I take the ML if it is -200 or better, and the RL otherwise.
    What exactly does your model output? Predicted runs for each team?

djiddish98

Why is there a ceiling of -200? I would think a model wouldn't really see a RL as more valuable since it is merely derived from the ml, unless the market was somehow over pricing long dog lose by 1 probability.

Also, what line / book are you grading against? Opener, closer, etc?

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Sounds rogue

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by djiddish98 View Post
    Why is there a ceiling of -200? I would think a model wouldn't really see a RL as more valuable since it is merely derived from the ml, unless the market was somehow over pricing long dog lose by 1 probability.

Also, what line / book are you grading against? Opener, closer, etc?
    The idea is that I want to introduce as little juice as possible. There is also a ceiling of +200 for the same reason.

I'd rather bet a runline with lines of +120/-130 than a moneyline with lines of +240/-280.

djiddish98

I get what you're saying, but what book is offering 40 cent spreads on the ml and 10 cent spreads on the rl?

There is a small window where you might think the ml should be -278, so the rl could become +ev based on your model. However, I would think typically if a ml isn't valuable, the rl isn't either.

What is the average odds bet? How many bets on totals, rl, ml?

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

check if your code has bug. It is too good to be true.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

The idea is that I want to introduce as little juice as possible. There is also a ceiling of +200 for the same reason.

I'd rather bet a runline with lines of +120/-130 than a moneyline with lines of +240/-280.
    I hope you know why this should not be an absolute statement, otherwise I'm sure your model is wrong.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    I hope you know why this should not be an absolute statement, otherwise I'm sure your model is wrong.
    I don't know how you can say that without knowing anything about my model. My model doesn't tell me how much of an edge a team has, only if they have one or not. The unit size tells me the confidence that an edge exists, not the size of the edge.

So, armed with limited information, I believe my attempt to reduce vig is a valid one. My thought is that the oddsmakers will do a very good job (most of the time) converting the moneyline into a comparable runline, and vice versa.

lasker
    lasker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I can't give technical advice, but I would say just bet small at first and see how it goes. Or don't bet it at all yet, just track the results... If your model can truly produce so many picks at such a high percentage, you'll have your answer soon enough

And let us know if it turns out to be gold or fool's gold!
    Last edited by lasker; 08-03-10 at 12:13 PM.

CrimsonQueen
    CrimsonQueen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1660

I disagree that the oddsmakers will make the RL and ML comparable all (or even most) of the time. What I'm saying is there's two games on the board RIGHT NOW:
    Game 1: (Phillies)
    ML = -200 RL -120
    Game 2: (Cardinals)
    ML = -225 RL -105

My point is sometimes a team is more likely to win the game but not to cover the RL.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Home favorites and away favorites will have different runlines.

Grind-It-Out

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonQueen View Post
    I disagree that the oddsmakers will make the RL and ML comparable all (or even most) of the time. What I'm saying is there's two games on the board RIGHT NOW:
    Game 1: (Phillies)
    ML = -200 RL -120
    Game 2: (Cardinals)
    ML = -225 RL -105

My point is sometimes a team is more likely to win the game but not to cover the RL.
    Right, and the books account for this with the lines they set, thus making them comparable.

sharpcat

I think books basically convert ML to RL using historical Home/Away 1 run win statistics, but because these are still 2 separate markets even though they move closely together they do not have to move together. Whether to bet the ML or the RL or ML or spread should come down to which side has more value and just because a market has high juice does not mean that you can not find value in it.

12 Last