dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38349

5Dimes Over/Under Different Totals for Baseball?

Does anyone ever play these? For example the o/u for a game might be 8.5 and juice is -115 for over and -105 for under. However, you can take over 9 or over 9.5 or under 8 and under 7.5. If you take the under 7.5 under the dropdown menu, you would probably get U 7.5 for +150. Or if you take the over 9.5, you get it for +130 or something like that.

Does anyone think playing these are a good idea? If you like an over for 8.5, taking it over for 9.5 only hurts you if it lands on 9. Yes there is a good chance that can happen but do you guys say doing this is better because of the juice? If it goes under the 8.5, u still lose your bet and might even be laying -110 or -105 but if you take the over 9.5 instead of 8.5, you only lose if it lands on 9.

If you bet an over, it only screws you if it lands on the exact number. However, if its an 8 for -110 and you take the over 9 for +145... then you get screwed if it lands on 8 or 9. However, is there a plus money for this if you take it going up or going down 1 run. You can take say an over 8 for -110 but take over 8.5 and juice might be say +110 but it would be +140 or higher if u take over 9.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you are betting with an edge you should not worry about pushes you should bet whichever number has more of an edge. Usually the alternate market numbers are much harder to beat because they have higher juice, but you should definately be looking at these numbers because though very rare periodically you will find more value in the alternate lines.

dynamite140
    dynamite140's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 38349

Well im talking about say a total with 8.5. Say the over 8.5 is -110 but you take over 9.5 something like +145. Now if you take the under 7.5, the juice would be -170 or something like that but I'm talking about taking an alternate number where u get PLUS MONEY.

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite140 View Post
    Does anyone think this is a good idea?
    It is a good idea if you can prove to yourself that you will win more total money on the times your middle is not hit than you lose in total on the times your middle is hit. You would have to have some reason why the middle would not get hit as frequently as the odds indicate. IMO, this would be a very difficult thing to do prior to the game.

Now a different suggestion. If you can couple a prior to the game wager with live betting (hedge), now I think you have a better opportunity of creating a +EV scenario. You still need to "know" something to create an edge but in this case you only need to "know" whether or not the teams will score early or not instead of how the game will end. If you can prove to yourself that you can "guess" right more times than not whether or not the teams will score early you have the making of an edge.

Now, one way to hedge is to play a certain total prior to the game and then hedge the opposite side of that same total during live action. The opportunity that I am always on the lookout for is actually the opposite of what you are proposing. I will take the lower over total or the higher under total and then hedge with the opposite to create the middle opportunity for myself. As long as you can successfully "guess" which way to wager prior to the game more times than not, you should be able to show a profit and still have the middle as a gravy train opportunity.

This is basically the set-up but let me warn you that it is not quite as easy as it sounds. There are many considerations as well as the need for discipline when doing this. The odds will move quite quickly if there is a threat of runs and you are on the under. Also there has to be enough liquidity to make sure that you aren't betting into spreads that you can drive a truck through especially since for me, my Pre-Game wagers are usually a relatively large % of my bankroll because I know that the entire wager is not at risk because I intend to hedge the initial wager. Interesting enough, there have been many times where my initial "analysis" did not go my way and I had to hedge at a "guaranteed" loss and then the game ends in my middle and my "guaranteed" loss turns into a substantial gain. That's the way I like it!

Again, there are many considerations that one must learn and be aware of before you commit any large amounts of money to do this. First, try to determine if you have the ability to "guess" how a game is going to start. Once you can prove to yourself that you can "guess" right more often than not, start slow and small and gain experience with actual wagers. If you have any ability to do this at all, your bankroll should be slowly starting to climb which will allow you to feel more comfortable putting up larger sums of money without pressure.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Joe.