Lou-Hoozer
    Lou-Hoozer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone here have any exp. or knowledge on using the Labourchere system in sports?

I just learned about this system so I have no exp with it. but it seems like it would be a good approach to use if you can "consistently" hit AT LEAST 40% of your wagers in the long run right?

Especially if setting up multiple lines for your daily picks, using only 2 numbers on a line and each unit representing a small amount of BR like .00125%.

I would suspect with those parameters that you should be able to squeak out a little bit of coin each month?

Any thoughts or insight would be great....

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

A modified Martingale with a French private school education?

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

have yet to encounter this one myself, but will give it a google.

however, i must also state that the problem with just about any system, in my research, is the book has an Infinity BR, the player does not.

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

From Wiki

Labouchère system
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    The Labouchère system, also called the cancellation system or split martingale, is a gambling strategy used in roulette. The user of such a strategy decides before playing how much money they want to win, and writes down a list of positive numbers that sum to the predetermined amount. With each bet, the player stakes an amount equal to the sum of the first and last numbers on the list. If only one number remains, that number is the amount of the stake. If bet is successful, the two amounts are removed from the list. If the bet is unsuccessful, the amount lost is appended to the end of the list. This process continues until either the list is completely crossed out, at which point the desired amount of money has been won, or until the player runs out of money to wager.[1]
    The theory behind this strategy is that since the player is crossing two numbers off of the list (win) for every number added (loss) that the player can complete the list, (crossing out all numbers) thereby winning the desired amount even though the player does not need to win as much as expected for this to occur.
    It should be mentioned that the Labouchere System is meant to be applied to even money Roulette propositions such as Even/Odd, Red/Black or 1-18/19-36. When any of these bets are made in the game of Roulette, a spin resulting in a, "0," or, "00," results in a loss, so even though the payout is even money, the odds are clearly not 50/50. The Labouchere System attempts to offset these odds.
    If a player were to play any one of the above propositions, there are eighteen individual results which result in a win for that player and twenty individual results that result in a loss for that player. The player has an 18/38 chance of success betting any of the above propositions, which is around 47.37%.
    Theoretically, because the player is canceling out two numbers on the list for every win, and adding only one number for every loss, the player needs to have his proposition come at least 33.34% to eventually complete the list. For example, if the list starts with seven numbers and the player wins five times and loses three (62.5% winning percentage) the list is completed and the player wins the desired amount, if the list starts with seven numbers and the player wins 43,600 times and loses 87,193 times (33.34% winning percentage) the list completes and the player wins.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

i don't like anything that has the phrase "or until the player runs out of money to wager."

Leverage
    HURR DERP DEEP DURP
    Leverage's Avatar Become A Pro!

If it was that easy we would all be sipping Chandon on a yacht in the Caribbean.

Lou-Hoozer

Ya I read the Wiki description before posting. What I'm trying to figure out is obviously it was designed for roulette so I'm wondering if it can be used successfully in handicapping sports.

Handicapping to me seems alot less random since you have to use your brain to make picks. And ya I know there are streaks in handicapping like roulette but I just think if you know your sports and value in numbers that horrific streaks should be kept at bay (at some point).

I've been wagering for sometime now and find that I'm 50/50 after a large volume sample pretty consistenly over a couple years so ya of course I know 50/50 means LOSER! So I need to be able to find a way with a systematic approach to lose the small ones and win the big ones or I will get swallowed up eventually and be out of biznis for good cuz I know I cannot hit 54% long term just the same as I know I won't hit less than 46% long term.

Thats why I'm asking if there is anyone with experience with this system that may have some insightful advice.

My initial thought is to research info each day in every sport and make 6 picks a day and have 6 Labby lines with only 2 numbers representing units. And like I said in the opening to start off extremely low for dollar amount on the units compared to BR (like .00125) to help try and keep bad runs in check in the begining with the hope that things will get back on track for that line in the end.

Also with having the flexibility of 6 lines when a coup is made on the others they can maybe help out with "small amounts" on other lines that have alot of numbers.....

Those are the thoughts running thru my head right now. There are alot of smart people her in this think tank. Can anyone with experience or vast knowledege of advanced stats for this system tell me if they think it can work or is it a ultimate failure like most systems are?????

Peep

Unfortunately, I do not think a betting pattern can cover for a losing percentage.

Likewise, and this is something I think a lot of bettors don't notice, a winning percentage can survive a lot of different betting patterns just fine. "A rising tide floats all ships" and all that.

I would just keep working on my handicapping until I found something that worked.

xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-Hoozer View Post
    Ya I read the Wiki description before posting. What I'm trying to figure out is obviously it was designed for roulette so I'm wondering if it can be used successfully in handicapping sports.
    After reading "designed for roulette", you should already know this will not work for any thing, including roulette.

Peep

Reading up on it, I want to get a copy of Thirteen Against the Bank. Sounds like a good book.

Nimo
    Nimo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

Amount you want to win = X

X, 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X 12.5X should give you your X with a winning percentage of 33.33%

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

The biggest problem here is your requirement to make 6 picks a day, this could ultimately force you to subconsciously make picks that are not strong picks.

Lou-Hoozer

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    The biggest problem here is your requirement to make 6 picks a day, this could ultimately force you to subconsciously make picks that are not strong picks.
    I'm going to give this a try. I will use my highest rated picks (strongest plays) for labby lines that need the most attention accordingly.