dmm
    dmm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4116

How many people use code in betting?

Just wondering how many posters here use code in their betting process. Either for modeling/statistics, scraping, placing bets automatically, etc. My background is programming and software, so I tend to view sports betting as a math/code problem.

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18989

I'm not 'technical' enough to scrape odds. I still copy/paste odds from several sites onto Excel sheets. I'm proficient enough to write formulae into Excel so it'll reproduce the data in horizontal or box layouts rather than vertical lines of data. I can also write formulae to convert the data proportionally or as needed. For example a soccer match with a 105% book price on the 1, X, 2 outright might have a 126% book on correct scores for the 3 outcomes. Theoretically books should have the total percentage for correct score outcomes on 1 at 120% of their 105% book price. For example a home team with a 50% chance would have a 52.5% as an outright on a 105% book. Converting that to correct scores should see that 52.5% become 63% on the higher juice correct score book price. However, books always have more juice on the correct scores for the underdog so the original 50% favourite might only show at 58% on the correct score market. It can be useful to re-adjust odds back into proportional alignment for scores, totals, and handicap purposes. I've written formulae and screen layouts on Excel to do that. That's about as far as my 'coding' skills go.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

We've been trying to evolve into more of a machine learning environment.

It's the next step or evolution in modeling. It's always so static though, and so massaging the stats and inputs to account for a more dynamic market environment is what I bring to the table.

Always learning though, we never know enough.

dmm, what do you think about machine learning principles?

Bsims
    Bsims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by dmm View Post
    Just wondering how many posters here use code in their betting process. Either for modeling/statistics, scraping, placing bets automatically, etc. My background is programming and software, so I tend to view sports betting as a math/code problem.
    I rely almost exclusively on data analysis. I do all the things you mentioned with the exception of placing bets automatically. I'd like to get there, but it's way down my priority list. I use a combination of programming (in Basic) and spreadsheets. Since I retired 20 years ago, I've developed systems in most of the sports, written dozens of programs, and probably 100,000 lines of code.

I've often thought about trying to put together a team of like minded people with similar skill sets. There's just too much to do alone.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, and JacketFan81

dmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bsims View Post
    I rely almost exclusively on data analysis. I do all the things you mentioned with the exception of placing bets automatically. I'd like to get there, but it's way down my priority list. I use a combination of programming (in Basic) and spreadsheets. Since I retired 20 years ago, I've developed systems in most of the sports, written dozens of programs, and probably 100,000 lines of code.

I've often thought about trying to put together a team of like minded people with similar skill sets. There's just too much to do alone.
    Very cool, that's quite the codebase you've developed!

I don't currently do any sort of modeling myself. I've only been betting sports seriously for about a year now. Currently just using a bit of code to look for low hanging fruit -- mostly reacting quickly to market news with a few middles and arbs here and there.

JacketFan81
    GO GEORGIA TECH!
    JacketFan81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3920

VBA scripts and Excel are the way to go for me

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Was a VBA guy. Now I do everything in python. Easy to learn, easy to use, python is pretty great. I tend to do simulations on baseball and football. Python is able to calculate 1000 runs of 60 or so college football games in about 3 or 4 hours. VBA used to take 2 days.

punintended
    punintended's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3283

Anybody here use a bot to bet with offshores? I'm looking to get one built

dmm

Quote Originally Posted by punintended View Post
    I use code that can place automated bets, but I put in a manual human check. I don't trust my code to bet completely automated.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

I use code that can place automated bets, but I put in a manual human check. I don't trust my code to bet completely automated.
    Hehe, me neither. Everything else is automated, but that bit ....... no chance.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post

Any major books where this is more difficult to pull off?

I don't currently do this, but when the automated analysis and triggers light up, we're on a mad dash to get down. All manual, with a shitload of primed windows being lined up and sorted through on their own dedicated screens. Then there are the phone call bets. It's a lot to try and do quickly.

I'm interested in this aspect of automating or scripting, but books logging me out constantly is also an issue.

Do you guys try to automate the sign in process as well?

dmm

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Any major books where this is more difficult to pull off?

I don't currently do this, but when the automated analysis and triggers light up, we're on a mad dash to get down. All manual, with a shitload of primed windows being lined up and sorted through on their own dedicated screens. Then there are the phone call bets. It's a lot to try and do quickly.

I'm interested in this aspect of automating or scripting, but books logging me out constantly is also an issue.

Do you guys try to automate the sign in process as well?
    Bet365 does some detection of scraping/automation tools, so that's a bit more difficult.

How do you organize your windows/screens? By market you're monitoring? How many books still take phone betting? I've never actually placed a phone wager before.

Books logging you out can usually be solved by automating some sort of "activity" on the site. Even just refreshing a market page can keep sessions alive.

Sign-in process can be automated on most sites. The exception is those that generate CAPCHA tests. Bodog/Bovada is the only site that I've seen where this is an issue.

punintended
    punintended's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3283

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    So it's possible. Good, that's what I wanted to hear.

I'm probly gonna put up an ad on Upwork to get something like this built.

Any special measures I need to take to prevent the sites from finding out I'm using a bot? I'm sure they wouldn't be big fans ..

Nappyx
    Nappyx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 616

I would recommend that the scraping tool use a browser object to navigate the pages. That way it will be damn near impossible for it to determine if it is a bot or not. I would recommend selenium.

dmm

Quote Originally Posted by Nappyx View Post
    I would recommend that the scraping tool use a browser object to navigate the pages. That way it will be damn near impossible for it to determine if it is a bot or not. I would recommend selenium.
    Selenium is definitely a great way to go. It's also easy to detect without ongoing modifications to your code -- see https://fingerprintjs.com/ which directly sells their software to gaming companies.

Nappyx

You need to be aware that scraping bots usually need maintenance, so you may be continually paying someone to fix your bots when they break. Another challenge is mapping your bets to the appropriate team on the various sites. Some use different notation so you will need to keep a dictionary of the variations between books to make sure you get your bets down.

redsox2004
    redsox2004's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Quote Originally Posted by Nappyx View Post
    You need to be aware that scraping bots usually need maintenance, so you may be continually paying someone to fix your bots when they break. Another challenge is mapping your bets to the appropriate team on the various sites. Some use different notation so you will need to keep a dictionary of the variations between books to make sure you get your bets down.
    This. Talking 13000-15000 lines of code total in order to write scripts for each site and then do filtering plus ongoing maintenance. That’s just to get sorted output not including automating the next steps after that. So you need someone that’s kind of ongoing retainer after the initial build.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

So it's possible. Good, that's what I wanted to hear.

Any special measures I need to take to prevent the sites from finding out I'm using a bot? I'm sure they wouldn't be big fans ..
    I use places with API access. Everything is tidily and consistently formatted, and you don't need to spend lots of time evading their defences, and risk the account being banned.

Nappyx

What places allow you to bet through API. The only one I'm aware of is Fairlay?

jazzmonkey
    jazzmonkey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1182

Pinnacle, Matchbook, Betfair plus the aggregators like Vodds.

jazzmonkey

And to contribute further, I automate everything. Including bet placement.

dmm

When I signed up for Pinnacle, they told me the API was no longer available.

jazzmonkey

It is. Need to guarantee monthly turnover of $250k iirc. Or pay a fee, maybe $5k but that I cannot remember

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

And yet every one of you in here are losers. Every one. Mr Chichens**t (KVB) will not even place awager with me because he KNOWS that doing so will cost him money (if he has any) or much more (if he does not). Right Mr. Chickens**t?

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

I've challenged you to a handicapping contest, but crickets. And I dont even have an axe to grind.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmonkey View Post
    And to contribute further, I automate everything. Including bet placement.
    I'm a big coder, I code like 4 or so hours a day at work. I would never be comfertable with automated bet placement. God bless if you are, I would be worried about a bug some place that would end up making me bet like 10,000 when I meant to bet 100 or something like that.

Funny story, I worked with a guy, was in his 50's head of research when I was first starting out, who was a quant programmer at goldman sachs in earlier years. He built a trade processing program for the equities desk. He was demonstrating it, and he put out an order that said "Buy 100 shares of Apple at $.01". Of course, it didnt work because apple was like $200, so the order didnt get filled. So he switched it, and said "Sell 100 shares of apple at .01". It filled immediately, causing a loss of 19,999. He said all traders cracked up, and they said " Don't worry about it, we'll make it back in like an hour".

That story scared me from every building an automated betting program.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    I'm a big coder, I code like 4 or so hours a day at work. I would never be comfertable with automated bet placement. God bless if you are, I would be worried about a bug some place that would end up making me bet like 10,000 when I meant to bet 100 or something like that.

Funny story, I worked with a guy, was in his 50's head of research when I was first starting out, who was a quant programmer at goldman sachs in earlier years. He built a trade processing program for the equities desk. He was demonstrating it, and he put out an order that said "Buy 100 shares of Apple at $.01". Of course, it didnt work because apple was like $200, so the order didnt get filled. So he switched it, and said "Sell 100 shares of apple at .01". It filled immediately, causing a loss of 19,999. He said all traders cracked up, and they said " Don't worry about it, we'll make it back in like an hour".

That story scared me from every building an automated betting program.
    Haha that's hilarious. I know the feeling, lately I've been spending my time building stock market algos but they haven't panned out since I am unable to find a reliable enough broker (that also has a backend I can use to place orders automatically with python or matlab) that also doesn't charge commission. I've had some limited success at smaller scales and lower frequency, but I don't trust any brokers set up or my own code enough to run it with more than tiny amounts of actual money.

whitecow
    whitecow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Anything that I do with betting I automate as much as possible.
    Feel free to DM me would love to code for different sites and issues/solutions that i've found. All of my code is in Python.

Spankyf
    Spankyf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

I started with Excel sheets when I began betting. I wanted my models to get better all the time, so I moved to Python. Many years later I branched off into a software career. DevOps style role.

Used to automatically place bets on the Pinnacle api until early 2022?

Couple of years ago I made models that use the swar/nba_api module to apply SVR, Random Forest and Linear regression using the player and team stats. It really helps guide decisions.

One of the most helpful things I've done is gotten good at matplotlib. I have a OHLC style chart with teams open/close odds. Very informative for identifying teams that are always backed or laid heavily (Magic have drifted in every game this season bar six and in 3 of the last 4). Stuff like pie charts for % a team has covered a spread in a given situation... easier than looking at rows of csv all the time.

Pandas, numpy, scikit, matplotlib, Jupyter and databases to persist your bets/data. Steep learning curve.

As KVB says in one of the videos if you have the ability to do the quant stuff and know the market/sport well, you will win out. It has turned me from a loser to a winner.
    Last edited by Spankyf; 01-19-23 at 07:43 PM.

Rambuck
    Rambuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

All my models scrape jjgold comments as a micro indicator. been tailing the man for years

BOWLSZN
    BOWLSZN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3091

When I signed up for Pinnacle, they told me the API was no longer available.

i think you can still access through sites like ps3838

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

CODE what fawking Code lol aint no soaftware to get me the right side in games in any sport my charts ats work at ana amzing 89% clip

in nfl and fading teams after scoring 40 + points on subbie losers when they meet up with an 4/6 team or better