Cheese1976
    Cheese1976's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

recalculate $ per unit as bankroll grows?

What is the rule of thumb for recalculating your amount per unit once bankroll has increased significantly?

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

i usually have 100 plays then recalculate my unit, which is 1% of BR. other guys use Kelly.

Cheese1976

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    i usually have 100 plays then recalculate my unit, which is 1% of BR. other guys use Kelly.
    Do you recalc @ 100 plays regardless of profit/loss at that particular point?

Also, what is Kelly?

Masu485

yeah, first i withdraw 1% just as a little payment to myself. and then i recalc the 1% based on that new balance.

Masu485

Kelly is basically betting based on youe edge. I don't use it as I don't know how to calculate my edge properly. Lots of math guys use it here. it is usually also a small % though, but if you are just starting out with money management, flat %s like what i do are simpler

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

The rule of thumb for maximizing growth with +ev bets would be to recalculate after every result.

blackbox
    Update your status
    blackbox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3229

Myself in baseball 2% of bankroll on each play-calculated after each day, much harder to do when you are playing ml favorites in baseball. I NEVER LAY MORE THAN -1.60- stick to your money management. gl

Cheese1976

I suppose it just worries me to recalculate as soon as each play or each day, keeping streaks in mind. I've heard somewhere about recalculating at 50% bankroll increase points or even at 25%

Thanks for all of your advice

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

I do it each day.

blix177
    blix177's Avatar Become A Pro!

I go like this,

Range = bet size per unit
    100-199, = 1
    200-399, = 2
    400-799, = 4
    800-1999. = 8
    2000-5999, = 20

Stuff start changing from here on out, as it becomes harder to replace a bankroll
    6000-14999 =50
    15000-19999= 100
    20000-29999= 150
    Haven't had to worry beyond this point yet. But bankroll to unit size will get progressively smaller as the bankroll increases. It should all be relative to your income. I.E long long is it going to take at your current income level to replace your bankroll.

SolidDala
    SolidDala's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Each day is a new day, recalculate betsize each day! This way when going in 5-7 losing bets your roll don't dramatically goes way down! % of bet depends on the size of your roll as it gets harder like blix says to replace a bigger roll, therefor protect it more!

Just like back in Merlins days: Protect the Castle harder than your smaller outposts and you can rebuild if getting attacked!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

I recalculate each day. It only takes a few more minutes each day.

ozrob
    ozrob's Avatar Become A Pro!

set yourself targets in your bankroll and recalculate as you hit them. Its not a flashy answer but it will keep you from losing what you won yesterday.

or if you want to change on a regular basis be a bit more safe and go for weekly or monthly rather than daily.

Cheese1976

Quote Originally Posted by ozrob View Post
    set yourself targets in your bankroll and recalculate as you hit them. Its not a flashy answer but it will keep you from losing what you won yesterday. or if you want to change on a regular basis be a bit more safe and go for weekly or monthly rather than daily.
    This sounds good, I want to coordinate recalculating with dividend payments - I'm thinking every 30% increase to pay myself 10% and then adjust my unit to the new bankroll amount

LarryF
    LarryF's Avatar Become A Pro!

I recalculate at 25%; always pay yourself monthly, if you win, cause you ain't won nothin' 'til it's in your pocket!

ozrob

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese1976 View Post
    This sounds good, I want to coordinate recalculating with dividend payments - I'm thinking every 30% increase to pay myself 10% and then adjust my unit to the new bankroll amount

depends what the bankroll and your ultimate goal is. If your looking to extensively build the bankroll i wouldnt pay yourself for a while to help expand the bankroll quickly. If 10% of your current bankroll is an amount your happy with then by all means start paying yourself.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

While I understand that the proper way would be to recalculate after each individual play, I find it more practical to recalc at the start of each day.

MrX

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    While I understand that the proper way would be to recalculate after each individual play, I find it more practical to recalc at the start of each day.
    Close enough... unless you're at the tail end of a very bad day.

roasthawg
    roasthawg's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is exactly what I do... 1/40th of my roll at the beginning of the day.

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

I know many (or most) here are flat bettors, but I do it a little differently. I recalculate after every graded wager (done via spreadsheet so it happens instantly). I take my total bankroll across all of my accounts, and bet 1% on 1 unit plays (for lack of a better term) up to 5% for 5 unit plays. I have less than 10 of these 5x plays a year when I think the linesmakers or public are screwing up bigtime (only happened twice this basketball season, both times in totals involving Providence). Most of my wagers are 2% or 3%, with an occasional 4% one being on mortal locks (ml parlays involving Federal and Nadal against qualifiers in tennis, for example).

Peeig
    Underbetting my roll
    Peeig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1213

I recalculate every week or so..........mainly because I gots a full time jube and a new daughter....so I have less tymez

talnted
    talnted's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is exactly what I do, seems to be the easiest way to grow you BR steadily

Cheese1976

I don't understand what the advantage is to recalulating after loss/losses? Wouldn't it make sense to only recalculate after you've shown an increase in bankroll (assuming you have a winning system)?

MrX

I don't understand what the advantage is to recalulating after loss/losses? Wouldn't it make sense to only recalculate after you've shown an increase in bankroll (assuming you have a winning system)?
    That depends on how okay you are with losing your bankroll.

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MrX View Post
    That depends on how okay you are with losing your bankroll.
    LOL.

Yes, I would say recalculating is more important on the way down than on the way up. While you may be losing some extra profits on the way up, you run the risk of ruin (TAP CITY/BROKE/OUT OF THE GAME/DONE LIKE DINNER) on the way down, which is a lot more serious problem than some lost potential profits.

Cheese1976

Quote Originally Posted by Peep View Post
    LOL. Yes, I would say recalculating is more important on the way down than on the way up. While you may be losing some extra profits on the way up, you run the risk of ruin (TAP CITY/BROKE/OUT OF THE GAME/DONE LIKE DINNER) on the way down, which is a lot more serious problem than some lost potential profits.
    gotcha on this one - But, I feel like I give myself enough room to avoid ruin by limiting my bet amount to a max risk of 5% on rare top plays and the rest usually @ 3% or 4%

MrX

gotcha on this one - But, I feel like I give myself enough room to avoid ruin by limiting my bet amount to a max risk of 5% on rare top plays and the rest usually @ 3% or 4%
    Unless you're betting with a very impressive edge, this strategy leaves you with plenty of opportunity to go busto.

ozrob

sounds like you already have a system there cheese. If its working for you stick with it. Only thing i'd suggest is that your betting %s are a little high.

Cheese1976

sounds like you already have a system there cheese. If its working for you stick with it. Only thing i'd suggest is that your betting %s are a little high.
    Yeah, I will probably cut them down as bankroll increases - I suppose 2,2.5,&3 are better - In the NBA I average 1 - 2 games per night with the current systems I'm playing, so volume is not that high

Meestermike
    Meestermike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

IMO re-calculation should be done depending on the number of plays you make daily or weekly. I personally flat bet all plays. It is important to re-calculate equally after gains and/or losses to insure your bankroll and maximize profit or loss.

There are so many varying opinions but that is how I do it. I also use multiple books to play at and will use the same strategies at each book. I open new accounts only when my overall bankroll allows.

Ruifgalmeida
    Ruifgalmeida's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

This is the way i do it - after a 10% win or lose of the bankroll, recalculate your unit.
    Changing your unit every day is not good for moral, because you are going in Tilt if you losing(and going to lose more) and if you win big time you are going to be over optimist(will make stupid plays because of the buzz of winning).
    I thing this way is not pretty,but you are going to be a much balance bettor.