JohnAnthony
    JohnAnthony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Let's make on good thread about spreadsheets & tracking

[on = ONE]

So I spent about 4 hours earlier today searching every corner of the ****ing internet as I am looking for a better, much more sophisticated way to track our* bets

*(I currently bet with a partner, but plan to part ways soon - we currently use SBR spreadsheets but that is barely enough for us.)

- I tried searching here, and except for one thread and one simple spreadsheet, I've found nothing reasonable.

- I found a site, called mybetdiary - it has some excellent (!!) stats and filtering featured, but lacks a PUSH function, and looks quite dull (you can't really look at 3-5 games and say whether you are 5-0 or 3-5)

- I even paid for a spreadsheet, which turned out to be for horse betting only, and was of no use for me at all.

- Hell, I even went to betportfolio.com and was willing to pay E40/year but they don't accept Paypal as stated, and I can't use moneybrookers.

In summary, I've tried EVERYTHING...and I'm currently considering doing everything by hand, which would make it extremely hard to track by advanced filters like NBA --> 1Q, NBA --> 1H, SOCCER --> TOTALS etc etc...

I've heard Williams22 is pretty good with excel, and I've heard is in quite a hole right now in his book, so Williams if you're reading this - I will pay 50 upfront + 50 more within 4 weeks if you put up something good here! anyone else who's willing to contribute, would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    JA

capri5421
    capri5421's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great work, I'm very careful also with my plays. I keep a notebook, with every play, the amount of unit's, team's, everything you can think of, is in that notebook.

JohnAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by capri5421 View Post
    Great work, I'm very careful also with my plays. I keep a notebook, with every play, the amount of unit's, team's, everything you can think of, is in that notebook.
    Thanks for your response Capri. Care to elaborate a bit on the way you draw the tables and make totals, how about summarizing at the end of the week/month/year? doesn't it make it hard?

What do you do if, for example, you wanna check your overall record for 1Q plays in the NBA?

Cheers,
    JA

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

What exactly are you looking for? What functions do you need this excel sheet to do?

Basically give me a run down of exactly what you need it to do.

JohnAnthony

Well, I bet NBA, Soccer and NCAA. Never bet NFL, and rarely NHL.

- Show overall win %
    - Show win % by league/sport
    - Show win % by bet type (1h/sides/1q/2h etc...)

* plus show units won & ROI on all of the above

- A great addition would be the ability to specify how much $ is one unit at any stage in one spreadsheet (we deposit each month and our unit gets bumped)

You can register on MyBetDiary.com and see what a great, great website it is. Too bad it lacks a PUSH function, would be just perfect!

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

pie charts and graphs

williams22
    williams22's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hey John,
    If you can explain exactly what you are looking for I can make you anything you want. I'm quite good with Excel and VBA so I'm sure I can handle whatever you need. Would you like to see the file I used to track the points book I was running?

I've got some free time tomorrow and I'd be glad to help you. Just let me know what you need and PM me your email and AIM if you have it so we can chat.

JohnAnthony

Would you like to see the file I used to track the points book I was running?
    That would be nice. I just replied to your PM, thanks!

Pucks
    Pucks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by williams22 View Post
    Would you like to see the file I used to track the points book I was running?
    I would be interested too. Looking for a better way of tracking my plays.

Steeve
    Steeve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

I would like to see it too. I created my own, which is very basic. It lets me track performance by sport, date, etc. but I like the ideas John has for making it more robust.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

I do all mine by hand..........ringed binders with Wilson column sheets.

These also serve as my daily diarys for tax purposes.

scaper
    scaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 357

I am interested too. I would be willing to contribute some $ as well

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

I think that you should have both hand written books and a computerized spreadsheet, for safety purposes, if nothing else. Since I rarely wager on any sports other than football, it is quite easy for me to keep a basic spreadsheet both ways because the group I wager with has a very sophisticated computer program that we use and the program is constantly being updated after every game. I keep both. It never hurts to have a back up.

capri5421
    capri5421's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bigdaddy, how you doin buddy ? This place is so much better than the other. GL.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by capri5421 View Post
    Bigdaddy, how you doin buddy ? This place is so much better than the other. GL.
    Tell me about it. I have never seen so many losers in one place than I saw in that other place. People who had no idea of what they were talking about. People who wagered on 30-40 games a week. What a bunch of losers. There are some pretty good 'cappers in here. Guys who post records, do not wager on every single game, and have some good knowledge of the game. You should enjoy it a lot more in here.

JohnAnthony

Me and Williams will be talking about this tonight I guess, we'll keep you updated it.

bballday10
    bballday10's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fellas.. google: TracktheBet

Going into private beta this weekend and will be live next month...

You just:

• Enter in your Wager and amount, just like online
    • Manipulate the spread if you got different line
    • All plays auto-graded

Break down your bets in reports by:

1. Straight,Parlay, Teaser
    2. Moneyline, Spread, Total
    3. Home/Road Fav, Home/Road Dog
    4. Conference
    5. Team

You can email me on my profile, if interested in beta testing..

Chris

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by bballday10 View Post
    Fellas.. google: TracktheBet

Going into private beta this weekend and will be live next month...

You just:

• Enter in your Wager and amount, just like online
    • Manipulate the spread if you got different line
    • All plays auto-graded

Break down your bets in reports by:

1. Straight,Parlay, Teaser
    2. Moneyline, Spread, Total
    3. Home/Road Fav, Home/Road Dog
    4. Conference
    5. Team

You can email me on my profile, if interested in beta testing..

Chris
    I haven't looked at the software, but what website did you find to scrape from to autograde? I haven't found any site that is easy to do that from.

williams22

John Anthony,
    I'll be around all night, shoot me a PM when you are on and we can get started.

twister
    twister's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bballday, good work.

bballday10

Twister-

Williams- basically pull in a final scores each night and take that against the adjusted spread value.. it's a lil more complicated than that, but can't give away the secret sauce

williams22

Twister-

Williams- basically pull in a final scores each night and take that against the adjusted spread value.. it's a lil more complicated than that, but can't give away the secret sauce
    How to do it isn't the problem. Finding a good website to scrape scores from IS a problem. Where are you grabbing the data from?

JohnAnthony - Where did you go?

JohnAnthony

Willaims22, I'm very sorry - my friend's father passed away yesterday evening, I hope I can log in later tonight (it's 17:14 as I write this) so we can discuss the spreadsheet, appreciate your patience and willingness.

bballday, there's a post from August saying basically the same thing "going live next month", I can't PM you so if you see this and this post is actually legit, I'd love to beta-test this system. Will write a compelling review (former Problogger here) so you can get more buzzzz..

JA

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
    Willaims22, I'm very sorry - my friend's father passed away yesterday evening, I hope I can log in later tonight (it's 17:14 as I write this) so we can discuss the spreadsheet, appreciate your patience and willingness.

bballday, there's a post from August saying basically the same thing "going live next month", I can't PM you so if you see this and this post is actually legit, I'd love to beta-test this system. Will write a compelling review (former Problogger here) so you can get more buzzzz..

JA
    JA,
    Not problem at all, life always comes first. Best wishes to you and your friend's family. PM whenever you are ready.

bballday10

John- I don't know why I can't PM you.. I wrote my email address in your blog comments section about this thread. You can email me there.

Williams- Scores are coming from an offshore book.

JohnAnthony

John- I don't know why I can't PM you.. I wrote my email address in your blog comments section about this thread. You can email me there.

Williams- Scores are coming from an offshore book.
    bballday, I've emailed you, thanks.

Williams - I will be on tonight for sure.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I also keep records using ledgers, one for touts, one for games and one for the horses.
    At the end of each month, I tally up my bets and wins. I also do a simple line chart everyday
    for each tout and total each day to see how I'm doing for the month. I can track it
    like a stock market graph.

Tout one 58%, tout two 44%, tout three 58% and total so far for the month 57%.
    ( some bets are my own)

waco66
    Canucks -1.5
    waco66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

i will pay betpoints (100 pts?)for something like this aswell. even without the website line update

williams22

Quote Originally Posted by waco66 View Post
    i will pay betpoints (100 pts?)for something like this aswell. even without the website line update
    waco, what in particular are you looking for? I'm working on a good tracking sheet for JohnAnthony now and maybe I can include some requests from you.

JohnAnthony

Williams22 emailed me today to note that the spreadsheet is ready. I'm yet to have a look at it as I'm on a little business trip and don't have Office on my netbook, but I'll have a chance to test it tomorrow and hopefully it will be released under his name pretty soon. This one is going to be a great sheet to use guys.

I hope that some of you who will use it will make a contribution to williams22, as I'm sure he worked very hard on this while also maintaining the SBR best bet thread and the credit report.

Anyway, stay tuned!

darkenergy
    darkenergy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 522

I'm interesting in this too, but I will need time to write down all of my requirements. Will paypal $100 if you can do mine.
    Basically, I plays with three books, taking plays for few others, my books closing weekly etc......
    I will pm you detail what I looking for Williams.
    Thanks

JohnAnthony

Guys, I have just had a chance to look at what Williams22 prepared for me and it is BRILLIANT! Love it!

I made some adjustments, and will get in touch with Williams so he can release it under his name. He deserves a lot of credit for his work!

Cheers,
    John Anthony

pats3peat
    LETS GO PATS
    pats3peat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
    Guys, I have just had a chance to look at what Williams22 prepared for me and it is BRILLIANT! Love it!

I made some adjustments, and will get in touch with Williams so he can release it under his name. He deserves a lot of credit for his work!

Cheers,
    John Anthony
    Nice, he's gonna share it with us?
    I will gladly make a contribution

JohnAnthony

Williams22 already stated he will gladly share this spreadsheet, and who am I to counter that? I'm very please with mine.

This was initially started when Williams22 was just starting to pay off his debt, so yeah a little contribution from anyone who finds it useful will be great. Unfortunately I'm deep in debt and can't pay him now but will surely do when I'm back to 0.

Anyway, I will PM Williams later tonight.

williams22

Hey everyone,
    I'll gladly share any of my work and would be glad to help anyone out who needs it. I am in rather massive betpoints debt so if you find it helpful a points donation would be appreciated.

Darkenergy, just PM me what you are looking for or we can meet in a chatroom to discuss, just let me know.

JohnAnthony,
    Glad you like what I've done. Feel free to email me back with any more changes/upgrades you would like and I'll see what I can do.

123 Last