Kolotoure
    Kolotoure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 654

Anytime somebody decides to announce they have had great success betting over x amount of years it is a pretty good sign that they aren't very good at it

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Not even worth it. MLB is impossible. There is about a 100 or variables to account for. The difference between team #1 and team #30 in the league is much smaller than most people think. Each game hinges on about 1 or 2 key plays and unless you can predict when and which team or players is going to make those plays, it is pointless to try to figure out.

Most of the defensive metrics are unreliable and still need more work. Defensive is very important in baseball though and can't be ignored. Personally, I would suggest to identify those pitchers with high strikeouts (i.e. k/9) and bet those games....this way, the defense is less a factor and its impact can be reduced in handicapping. Once the ball is hit, it is random. It can basically go anywhere and at that point you just hold your breath and hope the defender makes a play.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3633

IMHO, baseball is the greatest sport on planet Earth. So, I'm loving this discussion. I'm not a statistics guy, therefore, my analysis is street smart and not book smart. You guys may have Math degrees but I graduated the School of Hard Knocks.

How important is defense in baseball? A lot more than you might think. Baseball is the one major sport where there is no time clock. Time is measured in outs and you only get 27. Outs are extremely valuable. Assuming the average team scores 4.5 runs in a game, that's one run every six outs. A great defensive team can save you one run a ballgame. Obviously this is more important in the American League with the designated hitter.

But there are other intangibles that can make defense so important. For instance, a starting pitcher with confidence in his defense will not be afraid to throw strikes. When a pitcher doesn't have to worry about nibbling at the corners of the plate, trying to be too precise, he will give up less walks. I think everybody will agree that team on-base-percentage is more important to a baseball offense than team batting average. A starting pitcher throwing with confidence is a dangerous weapon for a baseball team.

Keep up the great conversation.

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Assuming the average team scores 4.5 runs in a game, that's one run every six outs. A great defensive team can save you one run a ballgame. Obviously this is more important in the American League with the designated hitter.
    Try again

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3633

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Try again

OK...

What part of that did you not understand?

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post

OK...

What part of that did you not understand?
    you claimed defense saves 1 run a game.

1 run saved is a lot more valuable in low scoring environment than high scoring environment.

AL scores more runs than NL.

Defense is less valuable in the AL.

you claimed the opposite. which part did you not understand?

mcuni
    mcuni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Interesting thread here. The only unclear thing left is - did Arthur actually vote for Obama? Yes or no?

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

You may have noticed Arthur has disappeared. That January post was his last. Real staying power. And Yes - I'm sure he did.

First 12