Bettingbrothers
    Bettingbrothers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1070

Excel Help -- MLB Series and FIP

I will preface my request by stating that I know a little about excel and formulas, but I know very little to the programming/macro side of things.

I want to import the following information, if anyone knows of a better source I'm open:
    FIB: http://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/play...ndent-pitching
    Power Ranking: http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

I want to create a spreadsheet or report that will import certain data from the web. In my mind it look like this:

Date Teams Starting Pitchers FIB ERA Series Line Road Average FIB Home Average FIB
    7/26/2012 Mets Harvey 0 +xxx
    Diamondbacks Miley 3.39 3.09 -yyy
    7/27/2012 Mets Niese xxx xxx Power Ranking Road Average ERA Home Average ERA
    Diamondbacks Collmenter yyy yyy
    7/28/2012 Mets Young xxx xxx
    Diamondbacks Kennedy yyy yyy
    7/29/2012 Mets Dickey xxx xxx
    Diamondbacks Saunders yyy yyy

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

if you dont know vba, then use web query and start messing around with IF and LOOKUP functions

Bettingbrothers

I'm asking for help with vba, thanks for your lack of input.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Bettingbrothers View Post
    I'm asking for help with vba, thanks for your lack of input.
    Do you also give waitresses the same attitude when you ask for a Budweiser and she politely suggests you try the Stella that is on special for a lower price? If so you can expect slow service, and in this particular case of Excel, slow help.

Thanks
    MDC Industries

Bettingbrothers

I'm asking for ideas and collaboration. I've googled this stuff, I've looked around. Your input has not been directed at my question. You can either offer to help or not. Thanks for the life lessons though. When you're done trolling and have something positive to offer I'd be grateful to listen.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Bettingbrothers View Post
    I'm asking for ideas and collaboration. I've googled this stuff, I've looked around. Your input has not been directed at my question. You can either offer to help or not. Thanks for the life lessons though. When you're done trolling and have something positive to offer I'd be grateful to listen.
    You're not asking for ideas. tukkk gave you one. And you were an asshole to him for offering a helpful suggestion.

Searching for "vba web scraping" on Google gives me 122,000 hits. You're right. Impossible to find information on it.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZRcaaAVbg

The guy in the video uses getElementsByTagName but getElementsByClassName would be easier in this case. I don't think TeamRankings will work due to the way they show the data (ajax). FanGraphs would work, though. You should be able to accomplish what you want to do using the 'split' function the guy uses in the video.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by jgilmartin View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZRcaaAVbg

The guy in the video uses getElementsByTagName but getElementsByClassName would be easier in this case. I don't think TeamRankings will work due to the way they show the data (ajax). FanGraphs would work, though. You should be able to accomplish what you want to do using the 'split' function the guy uses in the video.
    TeamRankings can be done.

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

my bad i didnt even look at the pages since many can be done with simple web query/lookup functions, power rankings is the only case here

so power rankings is done, now you need to

1)google how to scrape with vba and start thinking on your own

2)wait for somebody to upload a working vba code here

---
    or just find a different page that you can web query
    Last edited by tukkk; 07-27-12 at 05:22 AM.