jakeandba
    jakeandba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3709

Risk, Return, and Gambling Market Efficiency paper found req opinions

All:

Was doing research on ROI rates in wagering. Found this paper, completed in 2006 and probably a thesis paper for a Master's degree or maybe a paper for upper class. Would love to hear opinions or criticism of the paper.

http://jmercer.ba.ttu.edu/Friday%20S...Efficiency.pdf

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, what do you think?

gamble4heisman
    gamble4heisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 248

i found it relatively elementary without any real conclusions.... more informative with no new ideas.

VLR100
    VLR100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 985

Some good reading in the references section. Also in section v, the author mentions betting only at a really large return rate, 30 or 40 percent. I don't know about you but I'd settle for lower returns. Difficult enough to hit 52.38% at -110. Using fractional kelly is probably a better way to reduce the risk of ruin then restrict oneself to a smaller number of higher edge betting opportunities.

Brock Windsor
    Brock Windsor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 418

Comparing Apples and Oranges no? I just skimmed it but it seems he's not reducing the risk-free or market rate to one day of opportunity cost. If it's a straight bet on one event you would only have that money tied up for one day, not one year. Did I miss his explanation of this? Looks like a paper written on Sunday and turned in Monday morning.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by VLR100 View Post
    Some good reading in the references section. Also in section v, the author mentions betting only at a really large return rate, 30 or 40 percent. I don't know about you but I'd settle for lower returns. Difficult enough to hit 52.38% at -110. Using fractional kelly is probably a better way to reduce the risk of ruin then restrict oneself to a smaller number of higher edge betting opportunities.
    I will be trying to read these.

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is quite shocking that papers of this quality actually get published. It's really a shame too, as it means the few good papers are less likely to be read because of garbage like this.

Thremp
    Thremp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hopefully he learned some math between this paper and his MBA classes.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    It is quite shocking that papers of this quality actually get published. It's really a shame too, as it means the few good papers are less likely to be read because of garbage like this.
    Is that necessarily a bad thing?