JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Is there an ideal winning percentage a Sports Bettor should strive for?

Let's assume that there are 2 brothers using the same exact model and flat betting $100 on each bet and all the bets are at -110. Brother #1 makes around 1 bet a week but he wins an impressive 70% of his bets. Brother #2 makes several bets a day but he only wins 52% of his bets. I would assume that brother #1 is making far too few bets and brother #2 is making too many bets. Is there an ideal winning percentage to be at to maximize profit? Thanks in advance.

Please read post #3 as well.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 03-03-12 at 10:36 PM.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Isn't the answer obvious? Brother #1 and brother #2 are both making the same 70% plays, right?

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Isn't the answer obvious? Brother #1 and brother #2 are both making the same 70% plays, right?
    Brother #1 only makes plays when he feels the advantage is huge. Brother #2 makes plays on everything that he feels is even a slight advantage. Brother #1 is making money... but not much because he is making such a small # of plays. Brother #2 is actually losing money because of -110. Certainly there is a happy medium between 70% and 52%. What is the optimal percentage to maximize profit?

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

number of plays that achieve the smallest total risk to reward ratio

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Your goal with a model is to make as much money as possible.

When you have a 70% chance of winning (which you never do in a liquid sport), you bet a lot. When you have a 52% chance of winning, you bet a little (if you have reduced juice, otherwise you pass). If you want to make the most money, you adjust your bet-size according to your chance of winning... at least until your small bets are bigger than the market will take. Then, the game gets more complicated.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

i thought it was 55% at odds of 1.7 but even that is a very thin profit.

oneunder
    busted..disgusted..and not to be trusted
    oneunder's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22516

For those of you with a winning NHL model, what percent of the games do you find a large enough edge to bet a side? How about the total?

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

There is none. Winning percentage was made up by touts as a record keeping tool and wannabe 'sharp' gamblers took it as their way of also keeping score.

There is one simple goal when it comes to betting on sports....making a profit. By any means necessary. Guys who start citing winning rates or percentages are dick waving blow hards who probably never made a dime.

Give me two sides of the same game and the right odds and I am a happy guy, and I will make money hand over fist hitting just 50%. Some guys will claim one side always has an edge in a game, the trick is to know that BEFORe the game starts which is impossible, again despite what people like to claim. So becoming the book yourself and making a profit regardless is the BEST way to make money. Not the most ideal approach in most sports but in enough so as to make it a viable approach to make a decent steady income. Assuming of course you have the limits available and the options to place bets where you want and when you want.

allin1
    Update your status
    allin1's Avatar Become A Pro!

wantitall4moi don't you think there are sharp guys out there making money with their models that hit 53%?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is there an ideal winning percentage? Yes. 100%. It is attained by 50% of players, and maintained with 100% certainty if they quit after their first bet.