SportsInsights
    SportsInsights's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 110

MIT Sports Analytics Conference

Anyone attending this weekend's MIT Sports Analytics Conference? If so, let me know. It would be nice to run into some sports bettors there.

Dan

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

that's smart, who even goes to MIT could be consider a sharp

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

you can read all the papers on the sloan website. i think there is a paper for expected goals in hockey .

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's actually a pretty good place for new ideas--the academics do the research, the sports bettors steal their ideas.

BTW, Dan, what do you pay quantitative analysts?

Cruizer
    Cruizer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

cool shit!

Cruizer
    Cruizer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: a4u2fear

solring
    solring's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3434

The bibliography has some interesting reading material, too...

SportsInsights

Tom G, Yes, we employ Quantitative Analysts. If you'd be interested in this type of position, please contact me. Email help at sportsinsights.com. Please put that you spoke with me on the SBR forum.

SportsInsights

Yes, this conference is a great place to find new ideas. We submitted a paper to this year's conference that made it to the final round. The paper title is "A Contrarian Approach to the Sports Betting Marketplace." You can find a copy of it on the Sports Insights blog. We analyzed over 350 million bets.

Doctor Bob, Jeff Ma (MIT Blackjack Team) and the CEO of Las Vegas Sports Consultants will be on gambling panel headed up by ESPN's Chad Millman.

I wish there was a conference focused on sports betting strategies.

Cicima6709
    Cicima6709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

Very cool.

I already use some of those ideas in my NHL props model, and am very intergued by other ideas that they bring up. May mess around with them to add to my model.

Cicima6709
    Cicima6709's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1565

Iv never heard of this conference, but it sounds pretty cool. Ill see if i can find any good reads from articles that were presented after it finishes...

Would def. be fun to go with some bettors and apply this stuff to betting.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

I think they record all of the panels, so you can watch them afterwards. I wish I could've attended this year (bad timing w/ vacation plans); definitely next year for me.

SportsInsights

Anyone know of a sports handicapping focused conference? I know Bodog sponsored a conference years ago in Vegas.

TomG

There used to be something known as the "Conference Call" where a group of old guard Las Vegas punters would discuss the upcoming seasons offerings. It was mainly run by Fezzik so that should tell you what kind of info it contains (both good and bad).

Dan, no one is going to just hand you profitable sports betting info. You're at the SLOAN conference. That is a goldmine for cutting edge sports info. You just have to actually make the connection yourself between the academic work and its use in sports betting.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not sure if they are doing it for this one---but MIT, and the Sloan school archives lectures and make them available to the public. I will try and pay attention to this, and provide a link if they do.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

do you guys have a link to the conferance's videos or papers? Is this an annual event? I should plan out for it next year!

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

wtf is drew carey doing there? he sucks.

SportsInsights

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    There used to be something known as the "Conference Call" where a group of old guard Las Vegas punters would discuss the upcoming seasons offerings. It was mainly run by Fezzik so that should tell you what kind of info it contains (both good and bad).

Dan, no one is going to just hand you profitable sports betting info. You're at the SLOAN conference. That is a goldmine for cutting edge sports info. You just have to actually make the connection yourself between the academic work and its use in sports betting.
    Tom G, I'm not looking for a hand out. I'm more interested in meeting intelligent people that look to use math models to get an edge. Correct, the MIT conference had some interesting papers. It's all about making the connections between the academic world and the sports betting world. The majority of my ideas are generated from reading academic papers on sports and market efficiency. As I'm sure you know, the majority of papers never mentioned the word spread or sports betting but if you understand what they are trying to accomplish in their research it sometimes translates into a better model for predicting points scored, etc.

You are 100% correct, anyone that's making money (or attempting to) by sports betting isn't going to tell you how they do it. It's the same for pro teams. Every panel at the conference included a bunch of analytics guys that help their pro teams make better decisions but the first things any of them said is we're not going to tell you how we do it...only that analytics is now important to pro teams.

Tom G, did you contact Sports Insights about the quant position? If so, I never received the email.

Dan

TomG

I sent an email to the address you gave (help at sportsinsights.com) but I guess customer service never forwarded it onto you. Get in touch with me via private message or post a direct address and we can talk.

SportsInsights

It will not let me send you a direct message. Please send an email to help at sportsinsights.com and I'll make sure it gets forwarded to me. Put SBR in the subject line. Thanks, Dan

PokerSource
    PokerSource's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Anyone go? Was it worth while?

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Great read

SportsInsights

Anyone going this year? I'll be there.

SMCA
    SMCA's Avatar Become A Pro!

Longtime lurker... mostly focused on NHL. I'll be there.

SportsInsights

Great, shoot me an email at Sports Insights. We'll trying to meet up.

Dan

nicichiro3
    nicichiro3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Hey Dan,

Wish I had seen this post a month and a half ago. I went this year, best conference I have ever been to. What were you favorite sessions? I was a fan of the research papers, I thought they provided a lot more meat than the "Big Name" panels, but they were great as well. I think the Sports betting with Bob, Jeff, Matt and Chad was by far the best!

Thanks,

Nick

339955's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    Dan, no one is going to just hand you profitable sports betting info.
    well that's not really true is it? rsigley has given away a lot of information on how to make a lot of money sports betting. the 2+2 archives have all the info anyone needs to learn to line shop, bet steam, wong teaser, and derivative.

most people are just too lazy to actually do it. also most people don't give out information cause they are just ignorant and don't have much good information to give out and hoard the little worthwhile information they do have.

Gradius
    Gradius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 625

339955: I noticed that you have been asking RSigley for help on this forum, but looking at your latest post, it seems that you have got the information you wanted. Is this the case?

339955's Avatar Become A Pro!

gradius, i go forward out of inertia hoping wishing dreaming rsigley will come back and help me more i just try to take it day to day and do the best job i can with my sports betting.

abzflabz
    abzflabz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 485

Quote Originally Posted by SportsInsights View Post
    I wish there was a conference focused on sports betting strategies.
    Whats stopping you from creating one? Book out a conference centre in Vegas, im sure it will attract alot of people.

SportsInsights

Quote Originally Posted by abzflabz View Post
    Whats stopping you from creating one? Book out a conference centre in Vegas, im sure it will attract alot of people.
    Seriously, someone needs to put a sports betting conference together.