dcat2
    dcat2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Dealing with an evolving league

One of the arguments I often see being brought up against sports modeling is the idea that the sports are changing so rapidly that historical data modeling is useless (because modern situations cannot be accurately represented by past games). I was wondering how people around here deal with this issue?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Everyone deals with this issue, whether you model or not.

But it is more than the leagues changing, the market is changing rapidly also.

BOL

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Having this problem with MLS

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

It's the same in any market. Financial markets are changing every day, but that doesn't stop those proprietary trading firms from developing their models and strategies. The prescription for beating a fast changing market is being able to churn things out fast when you see an opportunity. That's why you see so many people in the tank bringing up programming questions. It is vital that you, or someone in your group, can program and automate tasks.

TBsp75
    TBsp75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2060

when i watched billy walter in 60 min interview i noticde he has a simulator or a program to simulate the games BUT he's da one who made the final decision depending on what's been happening around the teams and etc. even though historical stats r nt b able to predict the future, its great for reference.