Wayfarer
    Wayfarer's Avatar Become A Pro!

Consitency of line movement patterns from season to season?

If I have found indicators that allow me to predict the future direction of line movement in the MLB for the 2008 season with statistical significance can I safely assume the same indicators will be valid for the 2009 season?

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Depends what your indicators are based on. We'd need more details to be sure, but I think in general that should be a safe assumption.

Wayfarer

I'm not to eager on giving details (for obvious reasons). I think I may just bite the bullet and go over the numbers for the 2007 season and see what I get.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

No line trend in any sport will "last forever," but you may get another season or even two out of it...the sport changes and the public changes which in turns pushes the line to change.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
    If I have found indicators that allow me to predict the future direction of line movement in the MLB for the 2008 season with statistical significance can I safely assume the same indicators will be valid for the 2009 season?
    Did you uncover those indicators by analyzing line movements in 2008?

Wayfarer

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Did you uncover those indicators by analyzing line movements in 2008?
    Sort of.... modified version of what I do for the NHL.
    I'm assuming you are aluding to the fact that in order to check the validity I must test it against a set of data from which the model was not derived? 2007 numbers here I come.....

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
    I'm assuming you are aluding to the fact that in order to check the validity I must test it against a set of data from which the model was not derived? 2007 numbers here I come.....
    You got it!

cobra_king
    cobra_king's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 36789

Personally, i'd not only go over the 2007 season but also the 2006 season.

Arilou
    Arilou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 949

Make sure to check out of sample, but be careful even if you pass that test. There are things that change from season to season in terms of the market dynamics.