parlayin
    parlayin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2037

Transferring bet history data to Excel

How are you guys transferring data in order to analyze it without having to manually input? When I try to copy and paste the data from my 5 Dimes account into Excel, I get error messages due to the HTML format. If I try to paste as text, the columns get all screwy. Probably a simple answer but I'm admittedly not as tech-savvy as I should be. Thanks.

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

What error message to you get? Normally, if I want to manually copy something like a table from a web page to Excel, I would first copy the selected table from the web site. Then in Excel, select a cell in an empty sheet, right click, select Paste Special and make sure that HTML is selected before clicking ok. I would then select the range of cells with the html table in Excel, copy it, and go to where I want it to be and use Paste Special and select Values to just paste the values and not the html formatting. I assume there is something else going on here that I missing.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

just have 5dimes send it to you in your email. I have bookmaker and whenever i want anything like that theyll just send it in an email and its already in excel

parlayin

thom321 - oops, i don't necessarily get an error msg but excel freezes and i have to manually close the program. paste special works if i paste as text or unicode text, but not when i select html. that's the same as if i just did paste rather than paste special.

goduke - thanks, i will ask them to email my bet history now. but i'm still interested in figuring out how to do it in the future so i can continuously analyze my bets rather than having to email each time.

parlayin

Okay so first they tell me I'll get it the first 3 months in my email in 15 minutes (while checking with techs to see if they can go further back). Then when I don't receive anything after an hour, another CS rep says they can only send the transaction history in Excel format but I have to access the bet history online. Frustrating CS experience and now back to square one.

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

5dimes is much tougher to copy-and-paste into Excel, but not impossible...

Use Pinnacle...VERY easy to copy-and-paste into Excel as I have been doing it for years...

I have workbooks (spreadsheets) set up to handle the copy-and-paste on a daily basis for the entire season...

I copy Game, 1H and 1Q lines in with a simple copy-and-paste...

I add 2Q, 3Q and 4Q data, then 2H and the (2H) 3Q and (2H) 4Q info manually, but it doesn't take but a minute or 2 (no more than 5 minutes) a day as I have the speadsheets set up and ready to go...

parlayin

Not quite sure what you mean. Do you have a spreadsheet set up to handle copy-and-paste from 5Dimes into Excel?

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

From my experience, it is not hard to "overwhelm" Excel if pasting a lot of data to a workbook at the same time, especially if that workbook has a lot of formulas in it. Does Excel crash even if you are trying to paste the data into an empty workbook? Can you paste a smaller selection of data without getting Excel to crash?

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by parlayin View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean. Do you have a spreadsheet set up to handle copy-and-paste from 5Dimes into Excel?
    I don't have it set up for 5dimes, I have it setup for Pinnacle...

trevlyn1983
    trevlyn1983's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2339

are you sure excel is freezing or just taking a while to process the data ... it seems if I try to copy and paste from a site it connects to the site and pulls it from there . but takes a bit .