runnershane14
    runnershane14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

2nd Half Betting

I have had some success in modeling 2nd halves in college hoops but have ran into the problem of having enough time to crunch all the numbers based on 1st half play before the 2nd half starts. How do the rest of you deal with the time constraints?

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

The better you know your own model the more you can refine what you're looking for so you don't have to run them all. For example when a team is a different team than the one that compiled the numbers I'll take them off my list. I also know my model "prefers" games where the 1H involves a big 1H ATSM result. So I can look for those games a few minutes before the 1H ends and start running projected numbers then.

This is also where a Sports Options screen becomes handy because you can set up a custom tab and pick the 2H's you're interested in and know just how much time before they go off, and before HT is over.

FreeFall
    FreeFall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2391

computers

runnershane14

Thanks bookie

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

There are two approaches to second-half betting in cbb:
    1. Use only the market lines, and the score at the end of the first half. When you have your model, you create a spreadsheet where you enter the spread/total ahead of time, and the score at half-time. Your spreadsheet spits out a spread and total, and you bet when it hits your targets.
    2. Use game stats also. This is especially useful for totals, since you can include in-game pace to see if a total seems off based on the pace of play.

samserif
    samserif's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

Here are some simple, generic ideas on speeding up computations. No idea if they apply to what you're doing.

1. Can you reject certain plays quickly? This is a generalization of Bookie's suggestion. If, during your computations, you can determine that your result will never exceed your threshold criteria, you can reject it immediately and stop processing. For example, suppose you're summing a large number of factors and then comparing the final result to some threshold. If you know the general magnitude of each factor, then you can check after each term if it's possible for the remaining terms to take you over your threshold. If not, quit and go to the next game.

2. Can you do any precomputation? If you can do any of your computations before halftime (or better yet, before the game), do them and then save the results. This ties into the next idea...

3. Are any of your results reusable? If so, cache them. Memory's cheap.

4. Are you running into the problem of having to crunch more than one game at a time? Divide them between multiple PCs.

5. Probably a silly question, but are you doing any manual steps? Automate everything.

Hope this helps.

runnershane14

thanks samserif, i think the key here is better preparation before games and being more organized up until halftime

thanks justin also

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Get 4 AMD GPUs into one box.

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

At the end of the day there are a shitload of games going to 2h at the same time and there's no great way to deal with it except having some dedicated screens for shit and quick fingers

dymd3z
    SEC CHAMPS!
    dymd3z's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 858

Anyone have a spreadhseet they would be willing to share?

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

post a video of u doing 1st through to 3rd gear wheelies and maybe.... depending on if u can get ~ to 90 degrees and over 100 mph.

PS can u get SUBS on the numberplate as well. thanks, i'll wait.

www.hentaisports
    www.hentaisports's Avatar Become A Pro!

write it down

megwa2001
    megwa2001's Avatar Become A Pro!

betting on 2nd half is good if u intend to greenup before end of game

o5miley
    please contact me live help
    o5miley's Avatar Become A Pro!

What are all factors that should be considered in 2nd half ? And how valuable are each ?

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Just look at how many shots the teams attempted plus freethrows to determine the pace. if one team shot the ball 5-6 more times because of offensive rebounds, its probably legit. If they shot 5-6 more times because of turnovers, it probably isn't legit and it'll change in the second half. SHOOTING IS A PERCENTAGES GAME (Team A will always deviate to their percentages in the second half)
    Points Awarded:

nate turner gave TPowell 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

nate turner
    Update your status
    nate turner's Avatar Become A Pro!

t powell could you please give me a little more incite for 2nd half betting,thank you in advance

Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 618

Here's 2nd half betting in a nutshell.

Step 1) Underdog gets up at half. The public assumes the favorite will come back, and blindly bets the favorite.

Step 2) Pinnacle offers a scalp with nearly every book, putting the underdog at -123, and the favorite at +111.

Step 3) Public who bets the favorite at an atrocious price cheer as their team always comes back, and they always win.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
    Here's 2nd half betting in a nutshell.

Step 1) Underdog gets up at half. The public assumes the favorite will come back, and blindly bets the favorite.

Step 2) Pinnacle offers a scalp with nearly every book, putting the underdog at -123, and the favorite at +111.

Step 3) Public who bets the favorite at an atrocious price cheer as their team always comes back, and they always win.
    Tomato has gotten buried betting 2nd halves also?

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14721

If I offered you Cinci to go over 59.5 last night & half time youd have called me crazy.
    10 minutes into the 2nd 1/2 it was a foregone conclusion that I couldnt win this bet without overtime.
    With any model you use, no one would have taken cinci over & without overtime, the Bearcats hit every free throw down the stretch.
    I also think the game stayed way over the total.
    What stands out about a 2nd 1/2 O/U when the game is on pace to be under by 12-15 points?