curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Is there an equivalent to bball's points per possession in Hockey?

Hi,
    I am trying to find predictive stats for hockey. Points per possession and the pythag theorem are pretty predictive for college bball (for some reason don't work at all for NBA), so I am wondering if there is an equivalent stat for hockey.

Would it be points per shot on goal?

Shot on goal per possession?

I don't know much about hockey.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to find predictive stats for hockey. Points per possession and the pythag theorem are pretty predictive for college bball (for some reason don't work at all for NBA), so I am wondering if there is an equivalent stat for hockey.

Would it be points per shot on goal?

Shot on goal per possession?

I don't know much about hockey.
    Interesting question.

Unlike in basketball where a team takes the ball up the court and then sets up a "possession", plenty of times in the NHL possession is not established, and as such you can't really determine what a "failed possession" is on paper.

The most obvious correlation is success (or lack thereof) on the powerplay, but this is only bits and pieces of the game, not the whole game.

I guess even strength goals per time even strength is the closest, but I don't really know if that is helpful at all.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

It seems likely, though it might be a different exponent. If you gave me a few thousand games, I could do a regression.

Justin7

Another thing you might look at, in addition to shots per possession: scores per shot. This gives you two different dimensions of normalization, which might work better than a simple scores per possession.

curious

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Another thing you might look at, in addition to shots per possession: scores per shot. This gives you two different dimensions of normalization, which might work better than a simple scores per possession.
    Now the trick is to find the right exponent for the pythag formula.

Justin7

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    Now the trick is to find the right exponent for the pythag formula.
    If you have 2 or 3 years of data, it should be easy.

curious

Bill James take on this

I found this quote.

...bill james and his pythagorean formula used in baseball and applies it to hockey games. the most accurate method he found for predictive purposes involves poisson probabilities.

I need to try to track down where James said this.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Search this forum for "Poisson". At some point Ganchrow posted a link to a paper in pdf format that, as I recall, is a decent read on hockey, nothing advanced but very solid basics.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

I would search the web as well. There are quite a few papers and articles discussing hockey and poisson distributions.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Another process you may wish to explore is inter-arrival times of goals scored...