JohnAnthony
    JohnAnthony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Excel Web-Import Issue

Let's say I want to import two different tables (one is standings, the other is O/U stats, both are built the same) from a certain website.

I fire up Excel, go to Data --> Import --> From Web.

Now I'm confused, for two reasons:

1. I tried opening the web-page, but there was no indicator near the tables, so I couldn't click on them to import.

2. The other issue is: The tables I want are actually not displayed when you first open the web-page, you need to click on an AJAX link - which means the URL doesn't change - in order to see the tables.

I've been pretty good with self-learning, so if you have guidance I'll appreciate it. I may be willing to pay if anyone can further automate this (one spreadsheet with Links to Soccer Leagues, when I click on it, it updates the standings table + the O/U table spreadsheets on the file, without me having to go to the page)

Thanks in advance!

chopperocker
    Hang on baby, cuz life's a BITCH!!!
    chopperocker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55608

im sure you know more than i do. is it a file on the web your trying to open? maybe try downloading to file and than open?

JohnAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by chopperocker View Post
    im sure you know more than i do. is it a file on the web your trying to open? maybe try downloading to file and than open?
    Hmmm, It's not a file, no. It's some sort of dynamic AJAX table. And I'm already doing the manual import of each league after each round, but that takes quite a while if you have 20 leagues on a Saturday.

thom321
    thom321's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4983

If you tell me the URL (and the exact tables you want to import) I can take a look.

From my experience, using standard Excel web query is most likely not going to work and depending on how the web page is structured, it might require quite a bit of work to get it done, if at all possible.
    Points Awarded:

JohnAnthony gave thom321 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JohnAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by thom321 View Post
    If you tell me the URL (and the exact tables you want to import) I can take a look.

From my experience, using standard Excel web query is most likely not going to work and depending on how the web page is structured, it might require quite a bit of work to get it done, if at all possible.
    I PM'ed you.

icancount2one
    Let's go NickFolian Dynamite!
    icancount2one's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 571

If he can not get it to import the way you want it, I can parse it for you.
    Points Awarded:

JohnAnthony gave icancount2one 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thom321

JohnAnthony,

Feel free to take icancount2one up on the offer (assuming it is free). I PM'd you what I have so far. In any event, I wouldn't charge you for anything since I do it for fun (really but voluntary donations e.g. of points are always appreciated) and if the underlying URL structure would be changed on the web site, the data import would no longer work. If you paid to have something like this done, you should expect it to continue to work and I would not make any promise of continuing to maintain a working solution.
    Points Awarded:

JohnAnthony gave thom321 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thom321

JohnAnthony,

Sorry, I spoke to soon. I don't have enough posts to send you a PM. If you PM me a way to send you what I have so far, I will do so.

JohnAnthony

Guys thank you both for your kind help, I really really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by icancount2one View Post
    If he can not get it to import the way you want it, I can parse it for you.
    What is parsing? sorry =/

JohnAnthony,

Feel free to take icancount2one up on the offer (assuming it is free). I PM'd you what I have so far. In any event, I wouldn't charge you for anything since I do it for fun (really but voluntary donations e.g. of points are always appreciated) and if the underlying URL structure would be changed on the web site, the data import would no longer work. If you paid to have something like this done, you should expect it to continue to work and I would not make any promise of continuing to maintain a working solution.
    Ok, I'll PM you my email address.

thom321

I sent you a response.

"Parse" in this context to me means taking some text that has a structure to it, e.g. raw html code from a web page and go through it and extract the data you want.

JohnAnthony

I sent you a response.

"Parse" in this context to me means taking some text that has a structure to it, e.g. raw html code from a web page and go through it and extract the data you want.
    That also seems like a viable solution, how do we get around the Ajax thing though? because when you initially load the page, the two tables I need are not displayed.

Anyway, I just replied to your email, we can can go on from there!

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

You likely need to use a browser to access the DOM after the page is updated. Here's a tutorial on using IE controls in VBA...

http://vba-corner.livejournal.com/4623.html
    Points Awarded:

JohnAnthony gave MonkeyF0cker 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.