Teamprofit101
    Gmail
    Teamprofit101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Parlay/Underdogs

Being new to sports betting i'm trying to learn different methods/strategies to use. I started looking into parlays; straight betting just isn't covering my needs.

Before I ask my question please keep in mind that I am new lol

Placing a 2 team parlay bet on the underdogs......is it even worth it?

There underdogs so the odds are already against them...Maybe one of the underdogs might win but most likely not both. So placing a parlay bet on both is not worth it in my mind.

This is my thinking, I would like to know what other members think of this........

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Buy Stanford Wong's book on sports betting

You need to do some reading

Teamprofit101
    Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Buy Stanford Wong's book on sports betting You need to do some reading
    Thanks, I've seen people recommend this book in the forum, I'll have to finally buy it, i'll see if I can get it today.

In the mean time, is it possible someone can answer my question?

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Dont even think about betting before you read that book. You're way off. That's not how you approach a question. Without the odds offered you can never answer the question of whether or not something is a good bet.

Pats -1000 to win the superbowl is a bad bet
    Pats +100000 to win the superbowl is a great bet

ODDS ODDS ODDS

Teamprofit101
    Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Dont even think about betting before you read that book. You're way off. That's not how you approach a question. Without the odds offered you can never answer the question of whether or not something is a good bet. Pats -1000 to win the superbowl is a bad bet Pats +100000 to win the superbowl is a great bet ODDS ODDS ODDS
    I understand what you mean...But look at my question in general, forget the odds( i know the odds matter but for my question they don't as much)

What I'm trying to do it bet against this, so I want to get an idea if this happens alot, because if it does than it's not worth what I am trying to accomplish.

YOUSENKO
    YOUSENKO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Betting strategies books are pointless and are sold to cover the gambling debts of its author. The odds don't matter if you can't pick winners. 98% of the bettors don't pick winners frequently and books clean all. If you cashed in chances are its short term and the 2% winners had quit on the positive.

You need to know where the match is going and their intentions. Odds don't tell anything. After u know the result then u can discuss about picking the best odds on your play.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cala56

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YOUSENKO View Post
    Betting strategies books are pointless and are sold to cover the gambling debts of its author. The odds don't matter if you can't pick winners. 98% of the bettors don't pick winners frequently and books clean all. If you cashed in chances are its short term and the 2% winners had quit on the positive.

You need to know where the match is going and their intentions. Odds don't tell anything. After u know the result then u can discuss about picking the best odds on your play.
    I am not looking forward to reading your book.
    Points Awarded:

subs gave sharpcat 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Teamprofit101 View Post
    I understand what you mean...But look at my question in general, forget the odds( i know the odds matter but for my question they don't as much)

What I'm trying to do it bet against this, so I want to get an idea if this happens alot, because if it does than it's not worth what I am trying to accomplish.
    Of course they do.

It doesn't matter if you are straight betting, playing parlays or round robins if the odds you bet at represent -EV you are going to lose in the long run.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by YOUSENKO View Post

That is fine if you can pick the winning side (like you, no doubt) 60+% of the time. The rest of us mere mortals do have to assess each bet's value proposition in order to turn a buck or two.

YOUSENKO
    YOUSENKO's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Of course they do.

It doesn't matter if you are straight betting, playing parlays or round robins if the odds you bet at represent -EV you are going to lose in the long run.

The truth is most lines are -EV for the punter to pick. In the long run anything u pick loses unless you are able to beat them @ >2.02 odds when u hit winners meaning you select the point spread higher/lower by 0.5 to 1. In this case its incredibly difficult to maintain a 50% winning rate if they set the sharp lines without mistakes. You'll need sharp insiders who know how to exploit, certainly not all matches are played real (Rigging occurs frequently).
    Last edited by YOUSENKO; 01-10-12 at 01:48 PM.

Teamprofit101
    Gmail

I will repost the chart didn't come out how I wanted it to

Teamprofit101
    Gmail

F=Favorite U=Underdog

11 Games total
    Favorite won 8/11= 73%
    Underdog Won 3/11= 27%

Based on this information for last nights NBA games it would have been better to place a 2 team parlay(moneyline) on favorites

I'm not sure if I exaggerated this number in my calculations but....there are a total of 220 combinations on a 2 team parlay based on 10 different teams.

Example
    55 Fav To Fav
    55 Und To Und
    55 Fav To Und & 55 Und To Fav(110 Und/Fav or Fav/Und)

I was going somewhere with this information above and I forgot the point i was trying to make lol, so I still left in case I remember.

I haven't looked at the past results yet, I will as soon as I have some time. But my point is if it's something like this where the favorite wins over 60% of the time, is it even worth it; putting a two team parlay(moneyline) on underdogs?

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Paralys are useful if u are under-rolled, cuz unless u have thousands of dollars to commite to gambling, it will be hard to win any kind of real money ... if u make 1000 100$ bets and u win at a 60% u are only up 14000$, not including bank/book fees and thats w a 100k in bets

i think its better to bet, win, pull back the original investment and let the winnings ride, withdrawing a certian percent after each hit, and starting over after a certian number of wins (depending on how good you are) ... common stock trading system
    Last edited by YouMama; 01-12-12 at 01:35 PM.

tukkk
    ★★★★★
    tukkk's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by YouMama View Post
    have you heard about compound interest?

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

ummm yes I have also heard of losing 8 in a row
    Last edited by YouMama; 01-12-12 at 02:01 PM.

p19101
    Giants!
    p19101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Don't make it harder than it is. Playing parlays rarely has any advantage over playing singles. I've seen people go on tilt after losing parlays just because the last bet didn't hit. Would they've bet singles they'd been mighty happy, instead they get nothing. Sure it can be nice if you hit a big one. But if you're not profitable at singles you wont be profitable at parlays.