johntdonoghue
    johntdonoghue's Avatar Become A Pro!

Entry level book/text suggestion required.

I am looking to get a hold of an entry level text/book that will give me some incite into the mechanics of creating a line and identifying 'value' in a particular line based on probabilities. My math knowledge at this point isn't advanced so something relatively high level is fine, doesn't have to be sport specific.

Thanks in advance.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by johntdonoghue View Post
    I am looking to get a hold of an entry level text/book that will give me some incite into the mechanics of creating a line and identifying 'value' in a particular line based on probabilities. My math knowledge at this point isn't advanced so something relatively high level is fine, doesn't have to be sport specific.

Thanks in advance.
    I have bad news... I don't think I've ever seen a book that publishes a solid quantitative way to set a line. I have actually thought about writing a book on this, but the market seems like it would be so small as to not be worth the effort.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

I would suggest looking for an author named King Yao. I don't know the name of his books and not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for but I think you will find his books beneficial to your needs.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    I have bad news... I don't think I've ever seen a book that publishes a solid quantitative way to set a line. I have actually thought about writing a book on this, but the market seems like it would be so small as to not be worth the effort.
    There are resources out there if one looks hard enough. However, I agree with Justin that there isn't one comprehensive book on linesmaking. And there really can't be. There are many different methods used to arrive at a probability, some more reliable than others.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

What you really should do, first and foremost, is review your algebra and calculus and study a comprehensive probability/statistics text. That will get you started in the right direction. It also wouldn't hurt to have at least a rudimentary understanding of financial market analysis. From there, you should be able to find your own way.

xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

I am interested in the topic of financial market analysis in general, and its applications in sports betting. MonkeyF0cker, what would you suggest as introductory reading material? Thanks for your help.

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Self publish thru lulu or one of the other self publishing sites. For your opinion, I'd pay $100 a copy. Make Ganchrow a co-author and it's worth $200.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by marcoforte View Post
    Self publish thru lulu or one of the other self publishing sites. For your opinion, I'd pay $100 a copy. Make Ganchrow a co-author and it's worth $200.
    Gamblersbookstore in Vegas has offered help with this type of stuff. I don't know to what extent, but how hard could it be to publish one of those spiral-bound books?
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 02-21-09 at 08:07 PM.

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mike/Reagan owner of OGD self published his baseball book, he seems quite happy with the results.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Gamblersbookstore in Vegas has offered help with this type of stuff. I don't know to what extent, but how hard could it be to publish one of those spiral-bound books?
    Sadly, they are no longer publishing. Just selling now.

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

For what its worth...If you wrote a book on the things discussed in this thread and put it in a little simpler terms than some of Ganch's posts', I would be willing to pay $50-$100.