mushed
    mushed's Avatar Become A Pro!

tv propoganda affects picks ..your thoughts?

Well this is my first post. I just came across this site last night. I see lots of interesting posts and ideas along with the usual internet blog jousting. So hello to everyone. Now my question. I wonder how much listening to the talking heads on the 24 sports cycle affects our ability to properly handicap games. The reason I question this is this. I had a satellite feed for a short time with no commentary just video. For 2 weeks my winning percentage was beyond a mathematical possibility. Might sound crazy but always looking for an edge. So would turning off the sound and not watching any analysis help? Maybe Im nuts but Id like your thoughts

AgainstAllOdds
    From the Villas to world #1
    AgainstAllOdds's Avatar Become A Pro!

If your capping with numbers only, it shouldnt make any diffrence. The only thing that might change is your concentration level which in turn might make your numbers more effcient due to less human error.

marcoforte
    marcoforte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 396

I watch games with the sound off or listen to them on the radio. It eliminates extraneous bs. But I'm also a numbers capper anyway.

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe it might help. It might be even more useful to bet against the conventional wisdom exposed by some of these jokers. Since the public is influenced by commentators and the books are aware of this the line may be shaded. However, don't overestimate the significance of running good for a while.

diogee
    fadeable flamingo
    diogee's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting but if you were winning at a very high % (beyond mathematical possibility) then you would expect some sort of fall off. We all go on winning streaks like this and we all go on ice cold streaks where we can't catch a break. I would say there is no way of really telling if that has anything to do with you losing in your case due to a short period of time being used as the sample size. I myself personally watch very little ESPN (used to love espn until I started gambling) because I let their comments sway me too much which is usually a bad thing.

Bullajami
    Bullajami's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Setting up an experiment to test your theory should not be too hard. If you already have a substantial number of bets with the sound on, turn it off until you have a substantial number of bets and compare. If you need assistance determining the mathematical thresholds or interpreting your results, there are several math wizzes at this forum who will help. Good Luck!

MrX
    MrX's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you want a better result, leave the sound on and bet against anything the commentators say that isn't based on sound statistical analysis.

In other words bet against 100% of what the commentators say.

mushed
    mushed's Avatar Become A Pro!

well a math wiz I am definitely not but Im going to give it a go. I am going to concentrate on televised nba and ncaa. No sound no opinion for a week. Then post some picks on here next week and see how it goes. Im guessing the math will add up to my book smiling but we shall see. Thanks for the thoughts. I will kep you posted. Good luck! for what its worth Ive been a little hot the last few days Tonight I like Akron -5 kstate +6.5 nba orlando -7.5 miami -1. Take the opposites and you should score lol

xxxvince
    xxxvince's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

just watch the game and have fun WITH SOUND

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

The TV propaganda helps the smart bettor in my opinion. I LOVE when I see a team I want to bet get talked badly about in the media. The talking heads are no where as knowledgeable as they think they are. This thinking has worked well for me in the NFL over the years.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I think the media has an influence if you listen to them... You can NOT unhear something and if it's a point you think is worthy it may affect your decision and that could be the wrong way...

This is coming from someone who is anti-media and assumes media is for programming purposes but I admit I can not UNhear things and it affects me... This is why I try not to watch ANY pre game/post game unless I am extremely bored...

In 03' I had placed a futures on the Panthers at 20-1 4 games into the season and my plan the whoooole way was to hedge if they made it of course... That was the first year the NFL Network came out and it actually came out right around playoff time so I watched it 24/7... I can still remember clearly Warren Sapp's fat as* talking sh*t about how bad Russ Hockstein was because he played with him (I think in Tampa)... That gave me false confidence in that damn front four of the Panthers and I only hedged enough to cover the 2K...