xyz
    xyz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3251

Scoring Time for a Field Goal

When a football team scores a field goal, how is the time of the score determined? Is it when the ball goes over the cross bar, or when the ball hits the net, or whenever the ref blows the whistle? I had some money on the Monday Night Football (Dolphins vs Jets) for the prop on scoring within the first 7.5 minutes, and missed it by 2 seconds. The play started with 7:33 on the clock, and it didn't look like it would take a whole 5 seconds for the field goal to complete. I suppose when you bet enough of this, you are going to run into near misses like this. Just keep betting when it is +EV. I had it for -120, and thought it was +EV. What do you think? Thanks.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Great tricky question.
    I would think when the ref blows the whistle as to good or missed kick that's the time.
    I say this because all minutes must add up to a full game, and the game time for the ensuing kickoff (following made FG) or possession change (following a miss) should be either the time the whistle blew or 1 sec later if at the end of a quarter.
    This is my best guess.
    How's it sound?
    Last edited by princecharles; 10-18-11 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Regul8er
    Wordd
    Regul8er's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4101

I never make these prop bets....but I do watch the clock at times when I have totals. Sometimes the clock runs an extra 3 or 4 seconds after the whistle blows for a stoppage, which Im sure has screwed over many a people in these time related prop bets.

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

The text alert that I had for the game showed it at 7:28 left in the 1st. I wasn't watching it live, but I assume its when the ref blows the whistle, since he has the official game clock

jimkotecki
    jimkotecki's Avatar Become A Pro!

Verily, sounds like you got the big screw job, chap!

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Does the site have a rule, explaining how it grades it?

Also, I think NFL.com gives official scoring times... They might use that, regardless of when the score actually occurred.

SATERSTYLE
    FLAWLESS QUEEN BRITNEY
    SATERSTYLE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3291

Yep that was bull... I also lost due to this.

xyz

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Does the site have a rule, explaining how it grades it?

Also, I think NFL.com gives official scoring times... They might use that, regardless of when the score actually occurred.
    This site uses NFL.com for grading, and it was graded as a loss.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

I don't think books really know or care when the clock is used for scoring time, they just use data from same official source, in this case, perhaps NFL.com. So if the official source says your bet should win, you have a case.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
    I never make these prop bets....but I do watch the clock at times when I have totals. Sometimes the clock runs an extra 3 or 4 seconds after the whistle blows for a stoppage, which Im sure has screwed over many a people in these time related prop bets.
    I love how near the end of games the refs are clock nazi's, especially in hockey and basketball "please add .3 milliseconds to game clock when I didnt give a **** if you ran it 4 seconds long for the last 58 minutes".

greva
    Update your status
    greva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

7.5 minutes is 7 minutes and 30 seconds?
    Points Awarded:

Iwinyourmoney gave greva 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

jsaunte gave greva 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

killawookie
    killawookie's Avatar Become A Pro!

For a game I though was going to be low scoring any ways .. I skipped this prop. The better prop that I ended up taking was No 1 Yard TD -110 offered by 5 dimes.

xyz

Quote Originally Posted by greva View Post
    7.5 minutes is 7 minutes and 30 seconds?
    Yes