djbart
    djbart's Avatar Become A Pro!

WinPicks software - opinions?

I am considering purchasing the WinPicks software to help cap games, i.e. adding another tool to my tool belt. If anyone has anything good, bad or indifferent to say about WinPicks, I'd appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks and good luck to all.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

On a scale from 1-10 I'd give them a 6. It won't hurt. But it won't help much either.

djbart

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    On a scale from 1-10 I'd give them a 6. It won't hurt. But it won't help much either.
    Thanks, DH. Much appreciated. One follow-up question for you and anyone else: is it a useful tool to import data into Excel in order to create/tweak my own spreadsheet? My goal is to create an automated spreadsheet to use some common formula's along with some tweaks of my own.

Thanks again.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

I rate it an 8 myself. As you said, you can dump entire histories into Excel and then create your own database and tweak it to your desires.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Quote Originally Posted by djbart View Post
    Thanks, DH. Much appreciated. One follow-up question for you and anyone else: is it a useful tool to import data into Excel in order to create/tweak my own spreadsheet? My goal is to create an automated spreadsheet to use some common formula's along with some tweaks of my own.

Thanks again.
    I used a combination of formulas and imported the WP picks into a HF-RF-HD-RD grid against different spreads. I went back more than ten years and it did produce reasonably good results. Off the top of my head, for spreads 3 or lower it was definitely profitable to fade HF's and bet on RD's. And HD's for spreads over 14 were great; with the formulas I used. But I decided that using the formulas, based on their past performance, was a form of data mining, so I threw it all out. I suppose it was a useful step along the way, so I wouldn't not recommend it. Compared to what I do now it is no higher than a 6, but at the time I would have rated it closer to 7.

Remember that it's based on past stats and that these can always be tweaked to come up with some impressive looking results. The popular formulas, naturally, are those with the best recent performance. Which makes it data mining, in my book.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 12-11-08 at 04:23 PM.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

The software itself is rather useless.

However, it's a fairly cheap price to pick up an ok database (only the NFL one has actual game stats).

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

You got me thinking back. lol

In retrospect I'd give it only a 3. It's not winpicks, but the type of thinking behind it that's the dead end street. But still useful (!), in the same sense that a good father can be someone who shows you how not to live your life.

djbart

DH, Durito and LT: Many thanks for the input and opinions. If you think of anything else, feel free to post.

Thanks and good luck to all.

RickJ
    RickJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

winpicks

I rate winpicks a 10 for the ability to have historical data and be able to input it into excel. I then import the excel data into my separate programs.

As to winpicks predictive abilities...I rate them a 2....not much there I can see.

Rick

djbart

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    I rate winpicks a 10 for the ability to have historical data and be able to input it into excel. I then import the excel data into my separate programs.

As to winpicks predictive abilities...I rate them a 2....not much there I can see.

Rick
    Hey Rick....thanks for the input. I definitely didn't see it as a major help in predicting games and glad to see you rate well in the other categories. Sounds like you are using it exactly how I envision using it.

Thanks again and good luck!