elbciho
    elbciho's Avatar Become A Pro!

Using poisson to predict total Ks?

Is using poisson distribution to predict o/u pitcher strikeouts OK? The 4 criterion listed in the book are over 20 trials, odds off occurrence are less than 10%, go up in increments of 1 and past distribution is the same. The only criteria which is not met is odds off occurrence, the average strikeout rate is around 18%. Does that rule out any way of successfully using poisson to price the prop or could it still be close enough that it would still work?

TomG
    TomG's Avatar Become A Pro!

drink our boy poogs milkshake

Value of a strikeout in regard to prop betting

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Our head moderator, author, and professional sports bettor Justin7 once made a video explaining why poisson isnīt a good idea for strikeout props. It was pretty worthless, but you may be able to find it.

JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

If it's not a rare event, which in this case it is not, then try using a binomial distribution instead of a Poisson distribution to determine the probability. No guarantee it will work, but it's worth a shot testing it I would think.

elbciho
    elbciho's Avatar Become A Pro!

The way I have the model set up using binomial distributions won't work with out making a ton of calculations. I am going to take a sample of starting pitchers strikeout in each game started to find a standard deviation and then use the normal distribution in excel and see how that works.