JVP3122
    JVP3122's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Coefficients for Models

So, I'm working on my first model, and I have a quick question. If I'm working with a runs scored model, and I'm adding up stats like singles, doubles, triples, etc, I just don't add them all together at equal weight. I'm wondering if there's a statistical test which would help me determine the weight that each term should hold or if I should just try different coefficients until the model makes sense. Any help's appreciated.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

Try finding the correlation between # of triples in a game and wins, then do the same with doubles etc.

InTheRed
    InTheRed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17680

My first instinct would be to weigh them as they are. singles =.25, doubles =.5, etc. That may be a start.

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

Rather than re-invent the wheel, you'd prob. want to look into existing formulas that translate baseball events (singles, doubles, etc.) into expected runs. E.g., Fangraphs' wOBA or Baseball Prospectus' TAv.

Quote Originally Posted by JVP3122 View Post
    So, I'm working on my first model, and I have a quick question. If I'm working with a runs scored model, and I'm adding up stats like singles, doubles, triples, etc, I just don't add them all together at equal weight. I'm wondering if there's a statistical test which would help me determine the weight that each term should hold or if I should just try different coefficients until the model makes sense. Any help's appreciated.

uva3021
    uva3021's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 381

Run Expectancy

http://www.tangotiger.net/re24.html

download the retrosheet database and learn SQL language

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Contrary to intuition, doubles are not worth twice as much as singles, and triples aren't worth 3 times as much as singles. There is a drop off in value from doubles to triples (that extra base isn't worth as much, and most doubles will clear the bases anyways).

As far as regression analysis goes, I remember that OPS is a better indicator of runs scored than purely SLG. So take your sample (probably 3-6 years worth of hitting data) and do some basic linear regression with each hit and runs scored, etc.