EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

How difficult is arbitrage if you have Pinny as an out?

Obviously arbing is almost impossible for yanks since U.S. books have identical odds, but what if someone had access to Pinnacle? Combined with locals, would that be enough to consistently scalp? Or would one need more euro books in their arsenal?

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Plenty of rec-books will offer arbs. The problem is many of them will toss you if you arb them regularly.

dialup_king
    dialup_king's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    Plenty of rec-books will offer arbs. The problem is many of them will toss you if you arb them regularly.
    If you just bet the rec-book side of the arb, you still get tossed

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by dialup_king View Post
    If you just bet the rec-book side of the arb, you still get tossed
    True. But like this strategy better than doing a total arb with pinny, unless it is an arb on a huge market.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

arbing is a mythical scenario which gets more credit than its worth. By the quick time you get accounts closed or severely limited its just not worth the time and effort for what you get pout of it, maybe a 9inch pizza a day.
    It is technically possible on exchanges but your up against smarter opposition, matchbook hasnt got the flowing liquidity and betfairs 5% comm is tough to overcome.
    My advice would be to forget arbing and concentrate on other fields you read about on here.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

Betfair isn't 5% commission if you are putting down decent volume.

CHUBNUT

Quote Originally Posted by That Foreign Guy View Post
    Betfair isn't 5% commission if you are putting down decent volume.
    not the first time you talk of betfair from a delusional point of view. why not dig yourself another hole and let us know what markets you are betting and how much to get reduced comm on a regular basis.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

I thought I coincidence at the time, but arbing props at bodog vs everyone else a few years ago went great for a few weeks, then nothing.
    Maybe I was dealt the dual lines I heard about.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBNUT View Post
    not the first time you talk of betfair from a delusional point of view. why not dig yourself another hole and let us know what markets you are betting and how much to get reduced comm on a regular basis.
    Not the first time you've tried to pick a fight about something you know nothing about either.

http://learning.betfair.com/en/faq/

Click on "how is my commission calculated."

In case that's too hard for you:

Commission is calculated by multiplying your net winnings by the Market Base Rate, as shown on the Rules tab. From this we will apply a discount. The more you bet with us the greater the discount you will receive.

The size of this discount, or your Discount Rate, is determined by the number of Betfair Points you have accrued on your account. Betfair Points are earned in proportion to your betting activity - the more you bet, the more points you accrue, the greater your Discount Rate.
    "

arwar
    arwar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1544

Pinny or not as an out, in my extensive experiments in scalping, one side was inevitably a local out. one of the risks inherent in arb play is that the line moves before you get both sides down. locals are slower to move than computerized lines. so make the online play first. there are a number of other pitfalls lurking. E.G. if there is a huge arb opportunity the chances are that one of the lines is a blatant mistake, which may (meaning probably) lead to the wager's being canceled - hopefully you win the remaining play. for the tyro, it is easy to screw up the play in the heat of the moment and do something like make the same play at both outs. there are a number of other traps also, but there are tricks as well that can simplify the process.

CHUBNUT

"Not the first time you've tried to pick a fight about something you know nothing about either. "

Not picking fights, just pointing out to others that once again your not posting through your own experience but what you have read. The minimum comm on betfair is 3% which takes monumental wagering to achieve, certainly nowhere near your, mine or the vast majority of peoples betting relates to. The last post highlights common problems which along with others, make it totally pointless.

Many mistake arbing for what is really trading and thats the majority of betting done on betfair. You only have to see the huge amount of money in the markets that suddenly vanish in running, most have no intension of betting on the outcome. while this also has its pitfalls, its a better prospect if one thinks he has a better chance of forecasting the market than the event.

As i mentioned before, betfair is tool for trading and hedging in certain events but as a medium for straight up wagering its useless. Its main liquidity in soccer, horse racing and tennis are almost always bettered by conventional books, certainly if it has a chance.

mikeanite
    mikeanite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

which book is the fastest to toss you if you constantly beat them?

Monte
    Monte's Avatar Become A Pro!

arbing is a mythical scenario which gets more credit than its worth. By the quick time you get accounts closed or severely limited its just not worth the time and effort for what you get pout of it, maybe a 9inch pizza a day.
    No, i made huge money years ago with it, it was like taking candy from little kids when the offshore world was still going strong with Pinny in the U.S. market and lots of solid books around.
    Unless you call 5-10k per month pizza money, of course.

Now i would make much less obviously if i still bothered, but if i had no job it would prolly still be better than what you make it sound like.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag

Many mistake arbing for what is really trading and thats the majority of betting done on betfair. You only have to see the huge amount of money in the markets that suddenly vanish in running, most have no intension of betting on the outcome.
    I don't think there's that much of a definite line between trading and arbing. Both involve trying to get two sides of a bet down with a positive spread between them. The time difference between backing now and laying 2 pips lower in 30 seconds on betfair due to WOM or by market making in a busy static market is almost less than betting at two bookies.

The reason a lot of money disappears before an event goes in running (especially horse racing) is because in running events can be very voliatile and leaving bids / offers out there is giving the universe a freeroll at your expense.